Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcalhoun
Visitor

Anyone know how many Roku boxes have been sold?

FYI, I also posted this in the general forum but thought it would be relevant to this one as well. Mods, please feel free to delete one of my posts if you like.

I am a developer and am pitching a channel idea to a company. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how many Roku devices are out there in use? It would be nice to tell prospects that their channel would be available to approx. X number of devices.

Thanks in advance for all replies.jcalhoun

Private message
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Visitor

Re: Anyone know how many Roku boxes have been sold?

1 Million+
0 Kudos
pjoshua5000
Visitor

Don't forget to factor in that a lot of people do have more than 1 Roku. Some might even have 3.

Hope this helps.

--Josh
0 Kudos

"pjoshua5000" wrote:
Don't forget to factor in that a lot of people do have more than 1 Roku. Some might even have 3.

Also don't forget to factor in that a single Roku device could be targeting multiple users. I imagine the majority of Rokus are set up as household content deliverers rather than personal content deliverers. That increases the number of eyes and ears that the company can reach with their content.
0 Kudos
pjoshua5000
Visitor

"RyanMarquiste" wrote:
"pjoshua5000" wrote:

Also don't forget to factor in that a single Roku device could be targeting multiple users. I imagine the majority of Rokus are set up as household content deliverers rather than personal content deliverers. That increases the number of eyes and ears that the company can reach with their content.

Touché
0 Kudos
coskel
Roku Guru

any update on this number now that its a couple of years later?
Channels: Go Live Sports Cast/Audion - Audiobooks On Demand
"All I've had today is, like, six gummy bears and some scotch."
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

Last I saw, about 8 million in the US.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
BradC
Channel Surfer

"pjoshua5000" wrote:

I'd be curious to see how many most roku developers have. i'll be up to 7 rokus today when I pick up my new roku stick from work, and I still feel like I don't have enough, since i don't have all the models for testing during channel development. There are so many differences between the models and how they work.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"BradC" wrote:
I'd be curious to see how many most roku developers have. i'll be up to 7 rokus today when I pick up my new roku stick from work, and I still feel like I don't have enough, since i don't have all the models for testing during channel development. There are so many differences between the models and how they work.

In total, there seem to be six different lines (hardware/firmware wise) - i have not seen this highlighted in another place, so here is a write-up:
  • 4xxx series: 4200 (Roku 3)

• 3xxx series: 3000/3050/3100 (Roku 2 HD/XD/XS), 34x0/3500 (Stick), 2400 (Roku LT)

• 27xx series: 2700/2710/2720 (Roku LT, Roku1, Roku2)

• 25xx series: 2450/2500 (Roku LT, HD)

• 1xxx/2xxx series: 1000/1050/1100/1101 (Roku DVP, SD, HD, HD-XR), 2000/2050/2100 (Roku HD, XD, XD|S)

• [+ a black sheep, the albino NowTV box 2400SK]

Need one per line targeted to test (times 3 video resolutions etc)
0 Kudos
BradC
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:

In total, there seem to be six different lines (hardware/firmware wise) - i have not seen this highlighted in another place, so here is a write-up:
  • 4xxx series: 4200 (Roku 3)

• 3xxx series: 3000/3050/3100 (Roku 2 HD/XD/XS), 34x0/3500 (Stick), 2400 (Roku LT)

• 27xx series: 2700/2710/2720 (Roku LT, Roku1, Roku2)

• 25xx series: 2450/2500 (Roku LT, HD)

• 1xxx/2xxx series: 1000/1050/1100/1101 (Roku DVP, SD, HD, HD-XR), 2000/2050/2100 (Roku HD, XD, XS)

• [+ a black sheep, the albino NowTV box 2400SK]

Need one per line targeted to test (times 3 video resolutions etc)

that's good info! I'd be curious to see a more official word on this, as it seems like something they would want to make sure all developers knew.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos