Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
subhalaxmi
Visitor

Add a search bar on gridscreen

Hello guys,

I am new to roku app development. I need an urgent help.
I am working on an app. I just want to put a search bar on top of a grid screen. When user presses the up button of remote it will navigate to search bar . And when user click on that search bar it will navigate to searchscreen.

Guys help me. How can I achieve it 😞 . I had put many questions on this. But no response.

If there's any sample code , it will be a great help.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Add a search bar on gridscreen

What you could do here is manually insert an option/content metadata into your category, and then in the wait routine for input check a piece of that metadata for the selected item to redirect execution to the search screen.
You need a title for the item, a description for the item, and a thumbnail for the item.
Then for msg.isListItemSelected() check if it's that title, or thumbnail, or description to decide whether to play a video, show a search screen, or something else.
0 Kudos
subhalaxmi
Visitor

Hi destruk,

First of all thanks. Is there any sample code ? If yes please can you provide me .
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Sample code?
To force in an option you would use a createitem() routine you already use for parsing or simply use the lines you need.

item=CreateObject("roAssociativeArray")
item.Title="Search"
item.SDPosterURL="http://serverurl.com/searchsd.jpg"
item.HDPosterURL="http://serverurl.com/searchhd.jpg"
categories.Push(item) 'add this manually specified item into current content list

screen.SetContentList(0,categories) 'set the content of category 0 for the top line

Then later in your msg.isListItemSelected() check you would look to see if the title is Search or not with --

If msg.isListItemSelected()
If msg.GetIndex()=0 'if row 0
If categories[msg.GetData()].Title="Search" then
displaysearch()
else
playvideo(categories[msg.GetData()])
end if
else
'standard code begins here
0 Kudos
subhalaxmi
Visitor

No Destruk,

Not like this. You want to say that I should implement an option in my gridscreen. No I don't want to do this. I want to give a look like youtube. Like youtube has a search bar on top.
0 Kudos