Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Add Date Released

"destruk" wrote:
It's a bug then because in actual practice, even with the content type of episode it acts as generic, with only the title and description being populated like the componentguide says it does.
I just know because I had to set the content to episode, and the descriptionstyle to movie to get it to display the runtime of a video file. Generic and 'unspecified' descriptionstyle prevent the runtime from displaying too.

My iTunes Podcasts channel uses a content type of "episode" and works as expected, without any calls to SetDescriptionStyle. Can you post some of your code that isn't working?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Here's a relevant thread I read a while ago.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26921&p=166902&hilit=setdescriptionstyle#p166902
ROKUKevin posted
"The "Length" content meta-data parameter will display on both "video" and "movie" description style poster screens. Please check that the value of your "Length" parameter is an integer in seconds. The screen takes care of displaying in hour/min format, but you need to supply the Length parameter as an Integer in seconds.

Release Date and rating only display on the "movie" description style, they do not display on the "video" description style.

--Kevin"

Which would indicate to me that you're not supposed to be able to get the Release Date to display unless you explicitly specify the "movie" description style somewhere for the springboard screen.
Or perhaps I misinterpreted what he wrote?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"destruk" wrote:
Here's a relevant thread I read a while ago.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26921&p=166902&hilit=setdescriptionstyle#p166902
ROKUKevin posted
"The "Length" content meta-data parameter will display on both "video" and "movie" description style poster screens. Please check that the value of your "Length" parameter is an integer in seconds. The screen takes care of displaying in hour/min format, but you need to supply the Length parameter as an Integer in seconds.
Release Date and rating only display on the "movie" description style, they do not display on the "video" description style.
--Kevin"
Which would indicate to me that you're not supposed to be able to get the Release Date to display unless you explicitly specify the "movie" description style somewhere for the springboard screen.
Or perhaps I misinterpreted what he wrote?

He may be referring to the SetDescriptionStyle method specifically, but again, my podcast channel is using "episode" and "audio" ContentTypes as the only indicator for the springboard, and works exactly as expected. I have no calls to SetDescriptionStyle anywhere in my code, so I'm inclined to think there's something specific to your code that's causing the behavior you're seeing.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

ah...I think we got it now. The trouble is with the xml. ContentType is set on an individual item basis - so you're correct it's being overwritten.
The videoplayer example sets the content type to Talk for some items. Talk isn't an "episode".
The default in the XML parser is episode - so you should be able to remove the lines for contenttype in all the xml files you use and then it'll set them to the default value.

'Set Default screen values for items not in feed
item.HDBranded = false
item.IsHD = false
item.ContentType = "episode"

So why does the videoplayer example even have it using a "talk" content type in the xml?
Valid values = movie, episode, season, series, audio. Missing attribute = NotSet
0 Kudos
bubasknr
Visitor

Hey, I hate to hijack this, but is there any way to hide the runtime in the same way as you hide the star ratings? I've tried everything!
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

To hide the runtime, set it to invalid.
0 Kudos