Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About Menu

Is anyone including an about menu in their channel? if so which methods do you prefer? Using the "*" button? Add a selection in the channel itself? or Something different?
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: About Menu

I think it's personal preference, although many users don't seem to even try the * button, so if you really want it to be visible a selection in a poster screen would probably be best. However, I think the more developers use the * button the more users will get used to trying it in every channel. I've used both methods to bring up menus, but not necessarily "About" information.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

Thanks ... I like the idea of using both so users get familiar with the "*" button .. thanks for the suggestion.
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
...although many users don't seem to even try the * button...
That might be because many users don't have a * button. 🙂 It's been available (I think), since the XD and XDS models introduced in September 2010(the lowest 2010-era model, the HD, still had the 9-button remote).
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Right. I probably should have added that any function I assign to the * button I try to provide another method to get to the same function.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

In my Musiclouds channel, there is an about category, which has a "thanks" section, and an "about me" section which links to all the recordings I have on Soundcloud. Both the About items are poster items.

Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
uarlive
Visitor

In our channel we used an about us screen.
0 Kudos

"renojim" wrote:
Right. I probably should have added that any function I assign to the * button I try to provide another method to get to the same function.

-JT

Very good practice. Yes, to support older remotes, content provided by the * button should have a different way to access it or be functionality that isn't required for the use of the channel.
0 Kudos