Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: API Request: Allow registering exception-handling functi

"EnTerr" wrote:
Any progress on this one, RokuMarkn?

No plans for this at this time.  Runtime errors are (intentionally) fatal, so I don't see a use case for it that we would want to encourage.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: API Request: Allow registering exception-handling functi

"RokuKC" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:
Any progress on this one, RokuMarkn?

No plans for this at this time.  Runtime errors are (intentionally) fatal, so I don't see a use case for it that we would want to encourage.

I have couple of strong use cases from the field:

1. Roku Scene Graph - the lack of support for "function" type in Nodes, passing between threads and interpreters is so glaring, i find myself in dare need to use eval(). Or do you have good news forthcoming, of function literals being added as genuine RSG field types ? 😉

2. RAF (Roku Advertisement Framework) has proven itself historically unreliable and crap-outing, hence use of eval() is required to prevent RAF barfing. The RAF developer may swear on a stack of Rokus it won't be happening again - excuse me for not believing them since from users' point of view it's my lower back that's on the line. Or is there a full-blown exception handling coming to B/S?

While one may hope for both happening in some brave new world, i need this functionality at present time (as in "NOW" - or to avoid corporate ROTFL 8-), "within 2-3 months time") - and i figure i can make-do with as little as the requested - runtime exit codes to return more detailed info on where it happened (even if LINENO were to be off-kilter). It will help me both during development in (1) and diagnosing published app in case (2).
0 Kudos