Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: 5.4 stops development.

"RokuJoel" wrote:
bug filed.

- Joel

Thanks Joel.
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Endless - have been exiting the channel before side-loading and it seems to be working, so thanks for that tip. Can't use Eclipse so its a few more button pushes each time but it sure beats rebooting.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

If you aren't using any 4.x+ features for your channel, you could develop on an original roku box with 3.1 firmware to speed it along. 😉
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"squirreltown" wrote:
Endless - have been exiting the channel before side-loading and it seems to be working, so thanks for that tip. Can't use Eclipse so its a few more button pushes each time but it sure beats rebooting.

Just insert this in the beginning of your build script
# wake up/interrupt Roku
curl -d '' http://$ROKU_DEV_TARGET:8060/keypress/Home
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
"squirreltown" wrote:

Just insert this in the beginning of your build script
# wake up/interrupt Roku
curl -d '' http://$ROKU_DEV_TARGET:8060/keypress/Home

I'd stick two in there, just in case you've left it long enough for the screensaver to kick in.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Hey thank you both but i don't use a script, just right click and zip the folders manually. I have made some ECP applescripts (am on mac) and thought about doing that but it's really not a burden, normally all over automation but for some reason that process has never bugged me enough.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
bug filed.

- Joel

The posts in this thread seem to refer to the 5.4.3358 firmware. I seem to be encountering the same problem with the 5.5/410 firmware. Has the previous bug been fixed yet, or is my problem a new one?

I decided to develop a screensaver based on an roScreen component a couple of days ago. This is my first experience with either of those concepts, so I was expecting a few hiccups along the way. I noticed that every time I tried to side-load my development channel when the roScreen code was running, my Roku froze, the side-load operation (using curl) timed out, and none of the remote keys had any effect. The only thing I could do was unplug the Roku and re-boot it. I did not have this problem when running the same code on the 3.1 firmware.

A couple of dozen re-boots later I came upon this thread. I can work around the problem by exiting the channel before doing another side-load, and I got the screensaver finished, so I'm not overly concerned about it any more, just thought I'd let you know it looked like the problem (or a similar one) was still out there.
0 Kudos