Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuRobB
Streaming Star

4.9 Firmware Release: Re-enabling Developer Mode

Hello Roku channel developers! As you may have seen, we rolled out firmware version 4.9 today. A firmware update means that you need to re-enable developer mode on your device in order to side load channels you are developing. This is true whether you use the browser based application installer utility or install channels using a make file. You also need to re-enable developer mode to use the application debug console (i.e. telnet on port 8085.)

To re-enable developer mode on your device, enter this key sequence on your Roku remote: Home 3x, Up 2x, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right. You will be presented with the developer settings page where you can enable developer mode on the device by clicking the “Enable installer” button. After clicking that button, you must accept the developer agreement by scrolling through to the bottom of the agreement text and clicking the I Agree button. Next, press Yes in the confirmation screen and your Roku device will restart with developer mode re-enabled.

Thanks for choosing to develop for Roku, and let us know if you have any questions!
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
calvaryftl
Visitor

Re: 4.9 Firmware Release: Re-enabling Developer Mode

Interesting. I went to update my firmware only to discover that it was already up to date. And I did not have to re-enable developer mode...

When will docs for 4.9 be out?

Also, why is the SDK download giving version 4.1 instead of 4.8? How can I download 4.8?

Kenny
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"calvaryftl" wrote:
Interesting. I went to update my firmware only to discover that it was already up to date. And I did not have to re-enable developer mode...

When will docs for 4.9 be out?

Also, why is the SDK download giving version 4.1 instead of 4.8? How can I download 4.8?

Kenny

The most up to date SDK documentation can be found here: http://sdkdocs.roku.com/dashboard.action
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
calvaryftl
Visitor

I've seen that page. Is there a link to download the pdf's for 4.8? That's really what I'm looking for, so I don't have to refer to the website each time. Thanks. 🙂
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"calvaryftl" wrote:
I've seen that page. Is there a link to download the pdf's for 4.8? That's really what I'm looking for, so I don't have to refer to the website each time. Thanks. 🙂

Unfortunately, not... 😞 I don't think they're maintaining the PDFs anymore.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
calvaryftl
Visitor

Ah! Good to know. Now I can stop looking. 🙂 Thanks again! You are very helpful!
0 Kudos