Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coredump
Visitor

2D API - DrawText not rendering

I am trying to draw text to the screen but for some reason it is not appearing, Here is a code snippet :

' RGBA converter
function HexToInteger3(hex_in)
bArr = createobject("roByteArray")
if len(hex_in) mod 2 > 0
'fix for fromHexString() malicious silent failure on odd length
hex_in = "0" + hex_in
end if
bArr.fromHexString(hex_in)
out = 0
for i = 0 to bArr.count()-1
out = 256 * out + bArr[i]
end for
return out
end function

' Define font
reg = CreateObject("roFontRegistry")
reg.Register("pkg:/fonts/SourceSansPro-Regular.ttf")
sansFont = reg.GetFont("Sans Pro", 42, false, false)

' Draw Menu
whiteColor = HexToInteger3("#F6F6F6")

screen = CreateObject("roScreen")
screen.DrawText("Item 1", 64, 155, whiteColor, sansFont)
screen.DrawText("Item 2", 64, 218 , whiteColor, sansFont)
screen.DrawText("Item 3", 64, 281, whiteColor, sansFont)
screen.DrawText("Item 4", 64, 344, whiteColor, sansFont)
screen.DrawText("Item 5", 64, 407, whiteColor, sansFont)
screen.finish()

I have used the function HexToInteger3 to fill rectangles and it works and the font is also been used in other applications.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: 2D API - DrawText not rendering

This code works fine for me, using GetDefaultFont rather than GetFont. First thing to check is that sansFont is a valid font. Possibly you have the wrong name for the font in your GetFont call. Also, the color value you're using is strange -- it is only 6 digits long rather than 8, so the red value is zero and the alpha is F6. I'm not sure if that's what you intended. There's also a bug in either your HextToInteger3 function or the call to it, since it doesn't account for the # at the start of the string (it ends up parsing the string "0#F6F6F6"). Unless you're not showing your actual code, there's no reason to say HexToInteger3("#F6F6F6") rather than the simpler and faster &hF6F6F6. Finally, you should almost always use a double buffered roScreen to avoid image tearing, which means you should use SwapBuffers not Finish.

--Mark
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
... There's also a bug in either your HextToInteger3 function or the call to it, since it doesn't account for the # at the start of the string (it ends up parsing the string "0#F6F6F6"). Unless you're not showing your actual code, there's no reason to say HexToInteger3("#F6F6F6") rather than the simpler and faster &hF6F6F6.

There is no bug in HexToInteger3 nor in the way he calls it:
BrightScript Debugger> ? HexToInteger3("#F6F6F6"), HexToInteger3("0#F6F6F6"), &hF6F6F6
16185078 16185078 16185078
The reason why/how this works can be seen here viewtopic.php?f=34&t=66327&p=424467#p424655 - "turning lemons into lemonade" at the end.

That being said, of course hex literal (&hF6F6F6) is preferable when color is known in advance.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

No, I don't buy that this is intentional behavior. The function clearly expects a string of hex digits, and is prepending a zero only to avoid problems when the string is not well formed (odd length). The caller for whatever reason thinks the string can or should begin with a #. The caller clearly thinks it's passing a well formed 3 byte string. The function however thinks this is not well formed and sticks a zero in front of the # producing the bizarre FOUR byte string 0#F6F6F6 that neither the caller nor the callee would call well formed. If the caller passed "#12345678", the function would be parsing the FIVE(!) byte string "0#12345678". IMHO rejoicing in the fact that the code nevertheless works is not the best response to this mess.

--Mark
0 Kudos