Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MatroxRT
Visitor

Re: 2015 Roku 2 and Roku 3 specs

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
"RobSMS" wrote:
That's why there is 2 different developer kits and why you seldom get an official response here.

Good thing I started to learn Java because it's a level playing field on the other platforms currently.

Is that really a fair statement? According to the forum logs, I have personally posted 1246 times in this forum, and other Roku employees also post frequently. Do you get a lot of "official responses" to your Java questions on other forums?

--Mark

Mark, you and Joel are rock stars. There may be some business rule or otherwise around you answering certain questions like this, and I can absolutely respect that. 🙂
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"squirreltown" wrote:
I don't think it's a fair statement. But that doesn't explain why Roku has two brand new boxes already being sold on the market and I seemingly am not allowed to know what the specs of those boxes are.

Let me speculate a little, as an independent* persona i can do that. Imagine for a moment, if you will, that the announced this week refresh did not bring anything new to the platform, as far as channel development/SDK is concerned. Given this, now ponder over these two questions:
  1. Knowing that any channel working on a 2013 Roku3 will work identically well on the refresh models, would you think it's worth mentioning them?

2. Considering the birds of ill omen flying around, would you dare admit you haven't added at least a quad-core CPU, 4x the RAM and 32x the flash?

Some discussion on (2): there are these people with "size matters" obsession. You'll see them constantly comparing each other's specs. Like whose phone has more megapixels or cores or memory (while unable explaining the difference between MB and GB). To them, if Amazon has released a box with X amount of storage and Y amount of MHz - you better match and raise one that or else "doom and gloom". To me though, Roku has been known for "doing more, with less". Google TV comes to mind: they had 2x the memory, 16x the storage and 33% "more MHz" than the future Roku3. That was in 2012 and by end of 2013 the GTV initiative was pretty much a walking dead. This said, marketeers wouldn't like promoting "less is more"

(*) i.e. someone that nothing depends on
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

With all due respect EnTerr, neither one of those arguments hold enough water to brush a squirrels teeth with.
I'm writing software for a box, i should have an official statement about it's capabilities. Your tarot cards can't tell me if openGL is installed or not, no matter how much I wish they would.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"squirreltown" wrote:
Your tarot cards can't tell me if openGL is installed or not, no matter how much I wish they would.

No, but a simple test will.. So go buy one of each and let us know.. 😉

I'm inclined to think the first digit of the model number is a good indication of what features are available on the device, as that has held true over previous generations. Since the new Roku 2 and Roku 3 both start with a 4, I'd be willing to bet they have near identical hardware/feature set to the previous Roku 3, which also started with 4. Hopefully Roku will update the specs here soon-ish... http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ ... ndFeatures
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos