Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KennyJ
Roku Guru

Re: 10 Beta Channels

Again, I'm not a lawyer... It seems at best it's a grey area. Hulu has not sued Boxee -- they've only tried to prevent it through technical, not legal means.
0 Kudos
supersecretuser
Channel Surfer

My suggestion would be before you use anyone else's content, talk to your lawyers and the content owner.
0 Kudos
campbellwang
Visitor

"supersecretusername" wrote:
My suggestion would be before you use anyone else's content, talk to your lawyers and the content owner.

That seems like sound advice.

So have You (supersecretusername) and Nowhereman got permission from the content owners to stream or create channels from their content and collect donations for making their content available to users on the Roku Box?

This is what the user dnelms was asking.

supersecretusername
http://www.vidpoints.com/donate/
Archive Classic Movies
Drive-In Classics
Big-10 Sports Network
Earth-Touch HD
HubbleCast HD
LDS Podcasts
NBC News
TEDTalks
Terra
The Internet Archive

nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku/
Archive.org           
C-SPAN
CBS
CNET.com
CNN
ESPN
FOX News
GameTrailers.com
HBO
Various under K-12 channel
MLB.com
NASA
NBC
NPR
PBS
Various under Speed channel
The White House
CDNOne.com | CDNTwo.com
0 Kudos
Zarraza
Visitor

I don't know much about how the ROKU box works, but is sounds like the underlying message about the development and donations is this.
the donatees are selling nothing more than a "app" of sorts that will read what is publicly available.

what is doing the "redistributing" as you call it is YOUR ROKU box that is using the software they developed.
(again, this is how i understand this to work)

Am I way off base? (I'm a new ROKU user that just got turned on last night)
Certified Newbie Wanting to cut the cords have the following options available to me - ROKU XDS, Apple TV 160GB, 2x Apple TV 2nd gen., PS3, XBOX360 and more LCD Tvs than the Musée du Louvre has paintings on the wall!
0 Kudos