Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lou5
Reel Rookie

streaming stick causes tv volume to lock at max

Roku streaming stick 4k, voice capable remote. 

Hotel tv. 

Tv volume works fine with default imput. I insert roku stick in an hdmi port, turn on tv, and volume is locked at max level. Neither roku nor tv remote can change it.

I understand that the roku remote won't work for all tvs, but the tv's remote stops working as well. If I go back to default input it works fine.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Lou

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: streaming stick causes tv volume to lock at max

If you take the batteries out of the Roku remote does the TV remote start working again?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Lou5
Reel Rookie

The tv remote still works, on/off anyway. Tried removing roku batteries, no luck with volume control.

thanks though,

Lou

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I guessing it's some kind of weird hotel TV thing and doesn't have anything to do with the Roku device.  I don't suppose you have a different device you can connect to the TV.  Did you pack your Blu-ray player?  🙂  Maybe a laptop with an HDMI output?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Lou5
Reel Rookie

It's definitely tv related. I connected a laptop via HDMI and had the same volume problem. At least in that case I could adjust volume via the laptop. 

0 Kudos
Lou5
Reel Rookie

After further investigation, I think the remote is actually for a well hidden control box, similar to a cable box, and not for the tv itself. When I disconnected a "data" wire from this box to the tv, while in the normal mode, all tv remote functions stopped working. I'm still not sure why the tv remote's volume control stops working when HDMI is disconnected, though.

Next step is to get a universal remote and try that.

0 Kudos