Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ockie
Reel Rookie

star button disconnects netflix streaming

Jump to solution

prior to yesterday's update (1/16/24) for my roku 2, two clicks of the star button while streaming on netflix brought up mbps speed and resolution in right upper hand corner. now it disconnects the streaming and causes an error message. this star button dysfunction only happens while streaming netflix, nowhere else. contacted netflix support and was told this is a roku issue, not a netflix issue, because netflix streaming is otherwise working as it should; it is only the star button on the roku remote which causes a problem.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ockie
Reel Rookie

Re: star button disconnects netflix streaming

Jump to solution

Thanks for your help. Problem went away by itself! Just tried it.

The error message code: UI - 113, after I clicked for "further details." I was told in that second page of the error message that Netflix could not connect to the network.

There was nothing at all wrong with my network connection. I checked the Wi-Fi on other devices and it was fine. I restarted the Roku. Checked for any more recent updates. Checked my connection speed on the Roku home page. Checked other sites, like Amazon prime video, YouTube. etc. and there was no problem. Checked my connection speed through Netflix and, though it was substantially slower than the speed on the Roku home page, it still was OK. As for the microSD card, I checked it on the Roku "About" page and it hadn't changed. Everything else on the Netflix app worked just fine. Go figure!

And today the TV show I watched, Berlin, was no longer on my "Home" list, but when I searched for it and clicked on it, it's menu indicated it was still on my list. After I streamed it a bit, to check the star button, it reappeared on my list. Go figure.

Has anyone else reported the same problem or was mine one of a kind?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Ockie,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

We understand you're having a problem with the Netflix channel. We're happy to assist you further, but we will need to gather some details. Can you please provide us with the error message or code that you're getting? What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Portalogem
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I just manually updated my Roku and Netflix had a recent update, so try to do this to see if your issue is resolved. 

I have a Roku 3 and after the 12.5.5 Build 4174 OS and channel updates, I haven't had this issue when pressing the star key twice on my Roku remote when in Netflix unless this issue is specific to the Roku 2. I do see the mbps speed and resolution in the upper left-hand corner after pressing the star key twice while watching a Netflix video, so my model should be similar to yours. Have you tried to restart your Roku device to see if that fixes your issue? 

Since the Roku 2 has a micro-SD card slot, if you have a micro-SD card inserted, remove the HDMI cord, remove the micro-SD card, restart your Roku, and see if this resolves your Netflix issue. If it does, you'll need to format the SD card in a computer (make sure not to format the wrong drive) and then after a Roku restart, reinsert the SD card. (My Roku Ultra just threw a complete malfunction out of nowhere after getting the OS update yesterday and doing this resolved my issue. I'll probably have to do this same thing with my Roku 3 now that I know this is an issue.)

If the issue is still occurring, then on your Roku device: log out of Netflix, remove Netflix, restart your Roku, re-add Netflix, and log back in. Hopefully, this fixes your Netflix issue.

If my troubleshooting advice doesn't work for you, and if John is unable to further assist you after you provide all your details, even though the Roku 2 (4210X) is still supported, you may want to consider purchasing a newer model (just be aware that the mbps speed and resolution Netflix feature is no longer available on newer Roku devices when watching a Netflix video as that has been taken over by the accessibility menu, so you have to press the star key twice when not watching a video in Netflix). After nearly a decade, I'm always surprised that my Roku 3 continues to receive updates after my Roku 1 (SE) has turned into an outdated brick. 

0 Kudos
Ockie
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for your help. Problem went away by itself! Just tried it.

The error message code: UI - 113, after I clicked for "further details." I was told in that second page of the error message that Netflix could not connect to the network.

There was nothing at all wrong with my network connection. I checked the Wi-Fi on other devices and it was fine. I restarted the Roku. Checked for any more recent updates. Checked my connection speed on the Roku home page. Checked other sites, like Amazon prime video, YouTube. etc. and there was no problem. Checked my connection speed through Netflix and, though it was substantially slower than the speed on the Roku home page, it still was OK. As for the microSD card, I checked it on the Roku "About" page and it hadn't changed. Everything else on the Netflix app worked just fine. Go figure!

And today the TV show I watched, Berlin, was no longer on my "Home" list, but when I searched for it and clicked on it, it's menu indicated it was still on my list. After I streamed it a bit, to check the star button, it reappeared on my list. Go figure.

Has anyone else reported the same problem or was mine one of a kind?

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.