Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jay41
Reel Rookie

Streaming stick 3810X won't pair with old or new remote

Jump to solution

Have used the streaming stick for several years with no issues.  We did not use the tv or the streaming stick for several months.  The batteries were removed from the remote while not in use.  But now the remote does not work.  When trying to use Roku, we get as far as the home screen but the remote buttons are not working.  Cannot navigate anywhere.  We have tried all the steps to re-pair the remote to the stick, unplugging the power cable, removing the batteries, plugging the power cable back in, putting batteries back when the roku logo appears, getting the green flashing status lights, getting the home screen to appear.  We never get the pairing dialog screen, and the green status lights never stop flashing, or they do but briefly stop then start again.   We've tried all variations of pairing to no avail (using Roku Voice Remote).

We have tried new batteries, tried all variations of resetting/re-pairing and all have failed.  We bought a new remote, and have the very same failure to pair.  We are using the same USB cable that we have always used and had no problems with before the hiatus period. 

Other than ordering the HDMI extender (which I just did), any advice to solve our problem or figure out why we suddenly cannot pair with either the old or a brand new remote, both with brand new fresh batteries?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Streaming stick 3810X won't pair with old or new remote

Jump to solution

That pretty much rules out a faulty wireless receiver, but as a final test you can try using the mobile app as a remote.  Assuming that works, about the only other thing that I can think of is another Roku device interfering in the pairing process.  If you have any others, you might try unplugging the power to them.  As a last resort, unplug the power to your router.  Maybe with absolutely nothing causing any kind of interference you can get a remote to pair.

Roku Mobile App - Free for iOS® or Android™ | Roku

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
renojim

Jump to solution

When you say you're using the same USB cable, I assume you mean one that looks like this:

http%3A%2F%2Fimage.roku.com%2Fw%2Frapid%2Fimages%2Fpdp-carousel-items%2F8bd700dc-53c0-42d4-9d8e-02497510eb96

Is the stick still connected to your Wi-Fi?  Once it starts, does it display the correct time or "Not connected" in the upper right corner of the Home Screen?

0 Kudos
Jay41
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The USB is the original cable that came with the stick, yes looks something like the photo.  Yes, the streaming stick is showing up in my wireless client list, so I assume that means it is on the WiFi network.  Yes, the correct time is displayed on the Roku home screen.

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

That pretty much rules out a faulty wireless receiver, but as a final test you can try using the mobile app as a remote.  Assuming that works, about the only other thing that I can think of is another Roku device interfering in the pairing process.  If you have any others, you might try unplugging the power to them.  As a last resort, unplug the power to your router.  Maybe with absolutely nothing causing any kind of interference you can get a remote to pair.

Roku Mobile App - Free for iOS® or Android™ | Roku

Jay41
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Renojim, thanks for your consideration.  I'm thinking if I power off the router then the WiFi disappears then the stick cannot communicate with the remote.  The maddening thing is nothing has changed in our setup or environment that I am aware of, other than after the hiatus we had to have the ISP (Spectrum) do something to get our internet back up and running.  I don't know what they did, happens every time we go on an extended break, but this is the first time there has been a problem with Roku.  Interesting that there are a couple other posts just yesterday with the very same problem.  Maybe Roku made some kind of change?  In any event we've ordered  new stick.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@Jay41, the remote makes a direct connection to the stick bypassing your Wi-Fi network entirely.  If it didn't, you'd never be able to complete the initial setup of the stick since it's obviously not connected to Wi-Fi right out of the box.  The stick will use whatever Wi-Fi channel your router is set to when the stick is connected to your network since it only has one receiver, but I don't know what channel it uses initially or when the stick isn't connected.  Admittedly, I don't know if any of these suggestions will help, but it doesn't seem wise to try a third remote when you have two that won't pair.