Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hicksy11
Reel Rookie

Roku remote volume buttons issue - caused by prime app?

I have an issue with my Roku where the volume up and down buttons on the side of the remote have stopped working properly.

I have replaced batteries with brand new ones so know that isn’t the problem.

I have rebooted my device a few times and re-setup my remote to work with my TV by doing that music check thing the device does to check compatibility with the TV itself and it does work.

After re-booting I find the volume buttons work fine and keep working fine in all apps until I open Prime Video. At that point the buttons work only very sporadically, almost making it seem like when your remote is low on battery, but every other button works completely fine except those linked to the TV itself (volume and power).

Now I know this may be just a remote that has become faulty and it’s a coincidence that it’s stopping working properly when I am in the Prime Video app, but the fact I’ve tried this about 4/5 times now, testing other apps as well and finding the remote only starts playing up when the Prime app is opened suggests that there may be some link.

Has anyone else had this issue and does anyone know a fix or can at least tell me if it is the Prime App causing the issue or if it’s more likely just a coincidence and this a problem with my roku remote?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
PaddlingHeron
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku remote volume buttons issue - caused by prime app?

I have the same issue. I also suspect the prime video app. Would love to know how to fix it. 

0 Kudos
Hicksy11
Reel Rookie

Hi @PaddlingHeron

Since posting this issue I took my Roku stick out of my TV and unplugged it and left it like that shaded for a day whilst at work.

Since doing that I have not really had the problem happen again apart from the odd click not being picked up. I think it’s a combination of the device being a bit old now and also the heat in the UK recurrently making the stick struggle to work as effectively.

As for Prime Video being the common issue, my only thought is that the Prime Video app requires more output from the stick compared to other apps for whatever reason and as such that is why that particular app is the one that starts the issues.

As I mentioned earlier, try unplugging the stick completely for a day while you’re at work, leaving it in an cool, shaded place and try again the next day and make sure there’s good airflow to the device. If you’re still struggling let us know.

PaddlingHeron
Reel Rookie

Cool.  Thanks for the tip! I'll try it out.

0 Kudos