Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TVWatcher4

Roku remote buttons random

So my Roku had water in it for a little bit and I forgot to take it out. So I let it drive for a whole night and then I put brand new batteries in them the next day and when I turned it on the left right up down controls worked and okay did not. Mute button also didn't work. I then tried to resync the remote by holding down the small button under the case and instead of syncing it muted the TV and I don't have any other remotes. So if you have any advice on what to do I would appreciate it.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
TVWatcher4

Re: Roku remote buttons random

I forgot to take the batteries out**

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@TVWatcher4 

I was thinking that it's possible the contacts are dirty, and that blowing them out with air might resolve it. But the fact the pairing button isn't working indicates it's a major problem.

Perhaps others have some thoughts on this, but it may be that the remote is damaged to the point of needing to be replaced.

It that's the case, the Voice Remote is $20 and can be purchased at Walmart, Best Buy, and a bunch of other retail locations.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Long shot for water damaged electronics

Stick into a closed bag or jar of dry rice for a few days to dry all moisture out.  Make sure device is fully covered/surrounded.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

@MilesTGood advice but that only works if it’s done within the first hour. But Roku’s are cheap. Not like a $1000 iPhone. Easier to buy a new one. 

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Indeed, but doesn't cost much to try.

And yes replacement isn't too expensive.

Not a Roku employee
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Letting it "drive" (presumably meaning "dry") overnight may not have been sufficient.  The longer it has been wet inside, the less likely it is that you will recover.

An alternative to dry ice is packing it in uncooked rice for a day or two.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.