Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku device most remote - need assistance

I got a Roku device lost remote. Had it set up in one town and now moved to another town. Can't access account or device with new TV new internet connection. How can I set this up??

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Roku device troubleshooting

I’m guessing you mean by “Roku device lost remote” that you lost the remote to your device.  What is the model number of your Roku device?  Find it on either the bottom of the unit itself, or the bottom of the box.  I have the Express+ from 2017/2018 with analog outputs and it’s model no. 3910X.  The compact box models will work with the standard IR remotes, however the Stick models only work with WiFi-direct Voice Remotes which are RF-based.

If your Roku device is a Stick model, I’d recommend this remote: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-voice-remote-pro

Or, if your Roku is a compact box model, I’d recommend this: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-simple-remote

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

If you make the SSID and passphrase of your new router exactly the same as they were in the router that the Roku was connected to, then the Roku should connect to the new router.    Otherwise, get a remote. (It’s generally good to have a remote in any case.)

Michelle3
Roku Guru

Or you could download the Roku app from your smartphone if you own one!

EDIT: Never mind; the smartphone must be connected to the same network as the Roku device.  Therefore the Roku app on the smartphone will just add confusion if it’s not connected through the internet at all.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Michelle3 wrote:

Or you could download the Roku app from your smartphone if you own one!

~ Jordan

But it will do you no good for setting your Roku up to connect to a new network.  The app can only connect to Rokus that are ALREADY connected to the same network that the phone is connected to.

If you have access to your routers controls, set the router to use the same SSID (network name) and password as you had on your previous network.  If your Roku still has these parameters in its memory, it should connect.  Now you can connect your phone to this same network and you should be able to use the Roku app to control the Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@makaiguy 

Honestly that is true; the device must be connected to the same network as the phone.  

~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
jadiel

I've had a Roku USB stick for about 4 years. No major problems. I upgraded and without warning, the screen goes blank. I tried the suggestions on the video (with the exception of plugging it into another television) with no improvement. What I would like is both a clear explanation and further options to address the issue.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Michelle3-

So why did you suggest downloading the app when it could not be used to solve the stated problem?  All that does is add confusion.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@makaiguy  I, as a matter of fact, was confused at the time when I suggested that.  

Now, I could provide a better suggestion, but it might be more confusing.  I guess that should’ve been more specific, and that a replacement physical remote is generally better to have. 
~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@jadiel  If you’ve owned the Roku Stick for four years, then it may be out of warranty.  In this case, I’d recommend upgrading to a newer Roku model, like the Ultra LT 4801.

~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.