Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CD6
Reel Rookie

Remote working on one TV but not the other

I am having the same problem.  What can I do?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote working on one TV but not the other

@CD6, you need to give a lot more information.  Are these Roku TVs?  Is it a voice remote?  What do you mean by "working on one TV but not the other"?  The TV controls (power, volume) don't work or something else?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
CD6
Reel Rookie

It is a Roku stick (standard) with a Sony TV .  It was working fine one day and not the next.  That same remote works fine on an older TV upstairs.  Should I get a remote with a pairing button?

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

It sounds like the remote is set up for the TV upstairs.  Any two random TVs will typically not use the same IR codes.  I’m assuming you mean that it works on the TV upstairs rather than it works on a Roku connected to the TV upstairs.  ??

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
CD6
Reel Rookie

Both of them work upstairs - and neither of them work downstairs.  They are identical standard remotes.  Should I buy one with a pairing button?

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

I'm still not sure if you mean they work with the TVs (TV power, volume, mute) or the Rokus (home button, navigation via the arrows). 

Also, Roku currently has 3 remotes and none of them have the name "standard".   If you have a "simple remote" then it is IR-only and has no TV controls.  For a "simple remote" to only work upstairs then it is beginning to sound like the downstairs roku might be faulty.  But I'm doing some guessing here as to what you mean.  (But a simple remote won't work with a Roku Stick, so...  again more info would help.)

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
CD6
Reel Rookie

Hi again,

I'm going to Best- Buy with the remotes and ask them what I need -- and then buy a new and better remote for the downstairs tv which is a Sony.  This is so weird because it was fine one day and not the next.  😞

The remote I have is the most basic with simple controls only the arrows for up, down, etc.    We have checked to make sure it is on the correct HCMI spot.

I really appreciate your help, and understand that it's hard to diagnose without seeing/hearing the remote and tv.  Thank you for trying!  i hope a new remote will help!

CD6

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.