Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clivey

Remote went bang! (LOUD POP!)

My Roku 4k stick remote made a very loud pop/bang but still seems to be working. Battery area slightly wet but barely. Using the duracell AAA batteries supplied with Roku when new. Remote appears to be working though. Is this a fire risk? Or explosion risk? Made both me and my dog jump. Remote was on sofa at the time. Won't leave it anywhere near combustible material now!

Is it safe to continue using or do I need to request a replacement? Or take back to Argos where purchased? 

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote went bang! (LOUD POP!)

I would replace the batteries immediately. Only two things can "pop" like that in an electronic device, and that would be a battery or a capacitor. I doubt the remote has any capacitor large enough to make an audible pop if it blew, but a battery certainly might. And that wetness should not be there, so I suspect the battery is leaking. Make sure you completely dry the battery area, as that liquid is likely corrosive and you don't want it affecting the battery contacts. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.