Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cfg83
Streaming Star

Opinion on Roku Voice Remote Pro (2nd edition)

Jump to solution

Hello - 

Does anyone have an opinion on the latest remote?

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-voice-remote-pro-2nd-edition

I am probably going to buy one for my Dad, but I wonder if anyone has one, AND I am wondering if they are willing to crack it open, iFixit style, to see if the button controls have been improved.  It would be great if they were game control quality, aka built to last!

Roku Corporate Challenge: Please post picture of Roku 2nd edition circuit board buttons on this thread.

Thank You,

cfg83

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Opinion on Roku Voice Remote Pro (2nd edition)

Jump to solution

My VRP v2 seems slightly more finicky than my v1 as far as occasionally reconnecting, but it's still pretty seldom.  It's nothing like the people that seem to have remotes that are constantly popping up the battery level (indicating a reconnect).

As far as the buttons, both VRPs use the "blister" buttons like a lot of remotes these days.  I don't have a non-rechargeable voice remote right now, but I suspect is uses the same buttons.  The difference between the VRP v1 and v2 is that the plastic film containing the blisters isn't attached on the v1.  The film on the v2 is glued down pretty well.  Having it glued down may make it more resistant to dirt, but makes it difficult to clean the contacts on the PCB.  I don't think one set of buttons will prove to be more reliable than the other.  Sometimes the buttons just lose their ability to bounce back.

The v2 also uses the blisters for the TV controls while the v1 uses the tiniest buttons I've ever seen (and are fragile if you take the remote apart 😁).

As far as which to get, you need to look at the other differences.  The v1 has a headphone jack, while the v2 doesn't.  The v2 is backlit (something I think isn't necessary on a remote with such few buttons).  Its battery is also about twice the capacity of the v1, but I can't say I've had to charge either version very often.  The v1 and v2 also use different programmable buttons - the v1 has two that can be set to launch any two apps while the v2 has one button that can let you "quick" launch multiple apps, but there's an extra step that some don't seem to like.  Personally, I don't use the buttons on either remote since my most used apps are the first ones on my Home Screen and it's just as easy to press Home a couple of times to get there as to program some button.

I should also point out that some would prefer to change batteries than have a rechargeable remote that you have to relocate, find the right cable and adapter, and a free outlet, so a VRP may not be the best option.

As for pictures, there's not much to see:

VRP v2 and v1VRP v2 and v1

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

My VRP v2 seems slightly more finicky than my v1 as far as occasionally reconnecting, but it's still pretty seldom.  It's nothing like the people that seem to have remotes that are constantly popping up the battery level (indicating a reconnect).

As far as the buttons, both VRPs use the "blister" buttons like a lot of remotes these days.  I don't have a non-rechargeable voice remote right now, but I suspect is uses the same buttons.  The difference between the VRP v1 and v2 is that the plastic film containing the blisters isn't attached on the v1.  The film on the v2 is glued down pretty well.  Having it glued down may make it more resistant to dirt, but makes it difficult to clean the contacts on the PCB.  I don't think one set of buttons will prove to be more reliable than the other.  Sometimes the buttons just lose their ability to bounce back.

The v2 also uses the blisters for the TV controls while the v1 uses the tiniest buttons I've ever seen (and are fragile if you take the remote apart 😁).

As far as which to get, you need to look at the other differences.  The v1 has a headphone jack, while the v2 doesn't.  The v2 is backlit (something I think isn't necessary on a remote with such few buttons).  Its battery is also about twice the capacity of the v1, but I can't say I've had to charge either version very often.  The v1 and v2 also use different programmable buttons - the v1 has two that can be set to launch any two apps while the v2 has one button that can let you "quick" launch multiple apps, but there's an extra step that some don't seem to like.  Personally, I don't use the buttons on either remote since my most used apps are the first ones on my Home Screen and it's just as easy to press Home a couple of times to get there as to program some button.

I should also point out that some would prefer to change batteries than have a rechargeable remote that you have to relocate, find the right cable and adapter, and a free outlet, so a VRP may not be the best option.

As for pictures, there's not much to see:

VRP v2 and v1VRP v2 and v1

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
cfg83
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thank you thank you thank you!  This is enough info to motivate me to get one.   As much as I want  butch gamer buttons under the hood, it "looks" like an improvement that is worth a try (to me).

cfg83

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.