Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gverntz3
Binge Watcher

Only the power on/off and volume controls work!

Model 3820X

Tried the following:

New batteries, re-pairing, factory reset , different hdmi port and hdmi extender.

As soon as I turn off the TV and turn it back on nothing on the remote works except for power button and volume control buttons. Can't  navigate roku menu.

please help

52 REPLIES 52
Gverntz3
Binge Watcher

Re: Only the power on/off and volume controls work!

Updated info : it was working fine for about 9 months and yesterday the remote has started to act up. I also have another Roku stick with the exact remote and when I pair it to the broken set everything seems to work fine. So, I think the culprit is the remote! Is there an update for the remote? Is it still under warranty? Your comments would be appreciated. 

ccurls

Spoiler
Spoiler
I'm having the same problem.  Replaced batteries twice in 3 days.  Have had to do a full reset & re-pair my remote to the stick twice in the past 2 days which is really tiresome ( have to go through initial set up of the device and all tiles each time).  Reset it just this morning and it froze again 4 hrs later 
0 Kudos
Gverntz3
Binge Watcher

Well, scratch that theory. Second remote now just failed, so I moved the spare Roku stick onto the broken set and recycle the TV 4 times to make sure remote was working. Did notice on the first power up updates came through. So, I guess the Roku stick is bad?

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Gverntz3,

Welcome to the Roku Community, and thanks for flagging us about this remote issue.

You mentioned that you have a second remote. Is this a Roku remote? Have you also tried re-pairing this remote and see if you're still experiencing the same issue?

If the persists, please reply back here and let us know the device serial number.

Keep us posted. Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Gverntz3
Binge Watcher

The second remote is a Roku remote also. Both remotes do pair but once I turn off the TV and restart only the power, volume and mute button works. No nagavation buttons work. Finally, I moved the other roku stick to this TV and everything is OK. But, now I have a roku stick that is only 10 months old and doesn't work.

0 Kudos
Gverntz3
Binge Watcher

Defective stick serial # SSO8Y42722AVT

0 Kudos
Gverntz3
Binge Watcher

Defective stick serial # SO8Y42722AVT

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Gverntz3,

Thanks for the update!

We'll process a replacement for you and send you a PM for further information.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Gverntz3
Binge Watcher

Do you think the problem is with the remote or the stick? I think it's the stick because with both remotes the problem is still there.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.