Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BethanyRogers75
Reel Rookie

How to remove the back of my remote to replace batteries

This sounds like the world's dumbest question , but I absolutely cannot figure out how to remove the back of my remote to replace the batteries.  

Here's a google doc containing pictures of the front and back of my specific remote. (if you can't directly click it, you can copy and paste that link in any web browser and it should take you to the doc).   https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BvgaxGsHI7-NV3SX4yF8N4ik2somyo3o6iikG5ZpU-4/edit?usp=sharing

I scratched up the back trying to get it off.  Seems like i should be able to press down on those three ridges and slide off the case, right? But it won't budge! I also have tried looking for any buttons i can dispense and don't see any.  It seems like it's screwed in , or all one piece, but there are no visible screws. 

31 REPLIES 31
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to remove the back of my remote to replace batteries

While holding the remote in your right hand, put you right thumb on the three lines of the battery door, put your left thumb on the middle of the battery door, put the rest of your left fingers underneath up against the bottom button. Now push your thumbs to the left as you push the rest of the remote with left hand to right. Remote goes in one direction as the battery door goes in the other direction. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
BethanyRogers75
Reel Rookie

@Tivoburkee wrote:

While holding the remote in your right hand, put you right thumb on the three lines of the battery door, put your left thumb on the middle of the battery door, put the rest of your left fingers underneath up against the bottom button. Now push your thumbs to the left as you push the rest of the remote with left hand to right. Remote goes in one direction as the battery door goes in the other direction. 

I’m starting to think my remote is just jammed or stuck, because it won’t move no matter how much I slide and pry the panel... 

just to clarify, there are no external buttons I should be pressing in order to make it slide open, right? 

you’re saying I just need to push it at the three lines that are supposed to act as a grip? 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Yes the three lines are simple to give you a grip. and no there are no buttons to release the battery door. 😞 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

You need to push inward on the three lines to actually distort the back a bit to make it release. While pushing in, try to slide the cover toward the end of the remote (to the left as shown in your image).
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Map77

I purchased a new Roku with remote, to replace the one I have had for years;  I've tried for a weekk-and-a-half to open the remote battery compartment cover (and like another person said, I have scratched it up trying, and it WILL NOT OPEN!!  How can I exchange it for one that will open?

Margaret P

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Map77 

Thanks for the post.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number/device ID on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kjhoward

I am have the same issue of not being able to remove my Roku remote back. I would like to change the batteries but I literally cannot get the door to the remote open. I just tried steaming it and that did not work so I am out of options. Did anyone ever find a good solution to this? 

boogernose
Roku Guru

you need strong fingers and hands.

Find the three lines on the back. The piece of plastic that they are on

must be free and not touched or held. hold the top put your thumb on the lines

and firmly press toward the bottom of the remote.

I think the first time is the hardest.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos

I am having the same issue. This is crazy!