Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MeliP
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku replacement remote

Jump to solution

Here we are MONTHS later and still no resolution. Time to start looking into other streaming services. Too bad, because I really liked the 3 Rokus I purchased, but I refuse to buy stock in batteries to keep the remotes running.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@MeliP

Thanks for the post.

As state previously in this thread, please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DA1955
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Ok, so this is the 3rd time I've sent this info.

Modele4662X

Serial # 046081268118

with ear buds

thanks

0 Kudos
GrannyVA

Re: Roku streaming stick+ draining batteries

Jump to solution

That advice seems to disregard the fact that the Roku controller app on my phone still works fine.  It's not power to the Roku stick that's the problem.  It's the remote controller.

0 Kudos
robertnsamuel
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I've sent my info but heard nothing... like most people here I'm getting pretty annoyed that I can barely use my system without spending a small fortune on batteries.

MeliP
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Because they don’t have an answer an they are giving us the runaround. I’m looking into other streaming devices and when I see someone ask about streaming devices on my social media accounts I am telling them to stay away from Roku! 

OG
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have received a replacement remote (w/ voice control) for my 4k streaming stick+. I was told that the original remote I was replacing was defective. I put new batteries in the replacement remote and measured the standby current, (i.e., the remote's battery current drain when the player is off). As with the previous remote, it also showed a hefty standby current. As such, I don't expect this replacement remote will solve the battery drain issue because it's drawing a significant amount of current while just sitting there. (The so-called basic remote has no measurable standby current.)  I expect the replacement remote will drain the batteries just as fast as the old one, unfortunately.

I'm curious to know if anyone else that has received a replacement remote also found it had the same battery drain issue, or if the new one solved the problem.

A few other comments;

• For those that haven't gotten a response, try sending a PM to Danny w/ your remote info
  • From the Roku website, they say the basic remote (no voice control) is not compatible with their streaming stick (as well as some other players), so that doesn't seem to be a solution unfortunately for me. I may try it anyway, as I do have one
  • I agree completely that the the receiver (player) power source should have no impact on the transmitter (remote) power drain
  • Rechargeable batteries might be a solution, although the customer shouldn't have to go to that extent. The remote should not be drawing any power while it's just sitting there. (I'm reminded of an old cartoon I used to like to use at work. Picture; A manager shoving an engineer's nose on a chip while saying, "Bad designer. Bad, bad designer!")
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@robertnsamuel 

Thanks for the post and providing us with your information.

I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Icyhot

Jump to solution

I have a roku little box I plug into the wall for power and my remote dies every 5 days or so. I can't figure out why they don't last

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Icyhot

Thanks for the post.

What specific Roku model device are you using? Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos