Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JTell

How do I get a PHYSICAL keyboard workin!

How can a physical USB keyboard work?

If it cant, id like the reasoning please!

Our thumbs!

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How do I get a PHYSICAL keyboard workin!

It's not possible.  Reason?  Good luck getting an answer from Roku for that.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

The Roku OS has no drivers for keyboards or mice. The USB port is only for USB drives to read video and pictures. And any Bluetooth supports is also mainly limited to sending audio to a device.

The closest thing to a keyboard is the Roku app on a phone or tablet, which can offer a keyboard that may or may not work with some channels.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@andyross wrote:

The closest thing to a keyboard is the Roku app on a phone or tablet, which can offer a keyboard that may or may not work with some channels.

@JTell-

I have a bluetooth keyboard that I sometimes use with my phone when traveling and don't want to deal with the tiny phone virtual keyboard.  I had never thought to use it with the Roku app on the phone so I just gave it a try.  With the Roku app in keyboard mode it worked just fine.  I tried it out doing a search from the Roku home page and my bluetooth key presses transferred to the Roku search as one might expect. 

The fly in the ointment, as @andyross indicated, is that not all Roku channel app developers have incorporated support for the Roku remote app keyboard.  My Prime video does not accept Roku app keyboard entry, for instance, while Hulu does.  For apps without Roku app keyboard support, my bluetooth key presses get to the Roku app, but go no further.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos