Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frankr2994
Binge Watcher

Re: Enhanced remote lost connection when tv goes to sleep

Jump to solution

@BillieAnnie wrote:

@frankr2994  Don’t go into that stuff. It’s unnecessary and not the cause of your issue. 

I understand that. You are probably spot on with the issue being the 2.4ghz band. Which really shouldn't be an issue.... shouldn't. Which is why I'd like to find a different way to make it work.

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@frankr2994  I have a Cox Panoramic gateway. My TCL Roku TV is on the 5.0GHz channel of that gateway. No issues. 

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@frankr2994  what other way would you like it to work? Try it 

0 Kudos
frankr2994
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@BillieAnnie wrote:

@frankr2994  I have a Cox Panoramic gateway. My TCL Roku TV is on the 5.0GHz channel of that gateway. No issues. 

My 5ghz wifi is on channel 56. This is a DFS channel. Not supported by Roku. I am using that for everything else in the house though. 

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Just set your modem or router up to factory settings. Why are you using DFS? DFS settings is for

DFS is Dynamic Frequency Selection, which is a function of using 5 GHz Wi-Fi frequencies that are generally reserved for radar, such as military radar, satellite communication, and weather radar. The DFS channels vary from country to country.

0 Kudos
frankr2994
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@BillieAnnie wrote:

Just set your modem or router up to factory settings. Why are you using DFS? DFS settings is for

DFS is Dynamic Frequency Selection, which is a function of using 5 GHz Wi-Fi frequencies that are generally reserved for radar, such as military radar, satellite communication, and weather radar. The DFS channels vary from country to country.

I've already told you I was avoiding congestion in the 5ghz band caused by neighboring wifi. I knew what dfs channels were. Did not know that Roku can't use them until I tried. Moving to that channel increased signal to all my other 5ghz devices in the house. If I need to I will switch it back as its too much of an inconvenience with the remote.

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The 2.4GHz is where most interference occurs. I’ve never heard of traffic issues on 5.0GHz. So let’s do this. Factory reset your modem/ router. See if the issue goes away. If it does you found the problem. If your having weak WiFi then you need to figure out why. Usually router location or not enough bandwidth is the cause. You should have at least a 50 Mbps internet connection. More depending upon how many devices you have 

0 Kudos
frankr2994
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

And I said I will do that...not a factory reset but I will change my channel and connect back up to it. And yes I know 2.4 is prone to interference as alot of devices use it. The reason why 5g can get congestion is that everyone around me including me had close to or gig internet so everyone is using 80mhz channel width. That quickly takes away from clean channels. I do have a background in IT and playing with my network configuration is low on my worry list. I switched to this channel due to not having Ethernet in my home and I would like the fastest connection I can get to my workstation PC. I will lose approximately 100mbps on it switching back to a common channel. Like I said more of an inconvenience having a remote that doesn't work. 

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@frankr2994  Your remote losing connection is probably due to your setup. Never heard of anyone getting interference on 5.0 from neighbors. I live in an apartment and don’t get any interference. I actually own other Roku TV’s. Each with a voice remote and the remotes never disconnect. Best way to troubleshoot is by starting off at the beginning. 

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.