Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stubshil

Can you program any IR remote to a Roku ultra, like you can to an Apple TV?

Jump to solution

Didn’t know if Roku ultra had this feature. I have some old Sony dvd remotes I use to control my Apple TV instead of the regular remote since they have input buttons. There’s a setup screen on Apple TV called “learn remote” where I can pair and IR remote to which buttons I want. Does Roku ultra shave anything like that? Or if I were to use a Roku ultra and wanted to use a third party remote, it would need to be one where I can input the Roku IR code into?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can you program any IR remote to a Roku ultra, like you can to an Apple TV?

Jump to solution

Sorry, but no. Roku ultra only respond to true Roku IR commands. Which many aftermarkets universal remotes know. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

No Roku remotes are learning remotes.

For using a different remote with a Roku device, all Roku devices except sticks that plug directly into an HDMI port without the need for a cable support IR remotes.  Most universal remotes have codes for Roku devices these days.  The remote that comes with the Ultra is an RF/IR hybrid.  I only seem to be able to find my Voice Remote Pro (rechargeable) right now, so I can't say for sure that the battery powered voice remote with TV controls acts the same (and I don't know which remote the Ultra comes with these days), but if I unplug the power from my Roku device, the remote reverts to IR control.  I could then use that remote to program a learning remote.  If its Wi-Fi direct (RF) connection is established, it no longer transmits anything except TV controls via IR.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Sorry, but no. Roku ultra only respond to true Roku IR commands. Which many aftermarkets universal remotes know. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

No Roku remotes are learning remotes.

For using a different remote with a Roku device, all Roku devices except sticks that plug directly into an HDMI port without the need for a cable support IR remotes.  Most universal remotes have codes for Roku devices these days.  The remote that comes with the Ultra is an RF/IR hybrid.  I only seem to be able to find my Voice Remote Pro (rechargeable) right now, so I can't say for sure that the battery powered voice remote with TV controls acts the same (and I don't know which remote the Ultra comes with these days), but if I unplug the power from my Roku device, the remote reverts to IR control.  I could then use that remote to program a learning remote.  If its Wi-Fi direct (RF) connection is established, it no longer transmits anything except TV controls via IR.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.