Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rraisley
Reel Rookie

Can Uverse Remote Operate Roku Device?

I have AT&T Uverse and use their S30-S1B remote to control it, and change inputs. Of course it also controls basic TV functions on my LG TV. I also use Roku on each of my sets, but currently switch inputs, then use the Roku remote. Is there any way to have the Uverse remote also control the Roku device? I know/think some Rokus are IR and others RF, and the Uverse remote is only IR, but I'm fine with purchasing new Roku devices if that will help.

Any way this can be done?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can Uverse Remote Operate Roku Device?

@rraisley 

If the Uverse remote takes 5-digit codes, and your Roku model accepts IR commands, try codes 03061 or 02371. If your remote uses a different prefix, first digit in the code number for STB devices, just replace the 0 with whatever it does use. 

What model of Roku do you have?

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
rraisley
Reel Rookie

The Uverse remote setup allows 1) Top 10 Brand Setup (no Roku), 2) Automatic Code Search or 3) Manual Setup (searching for a device by name - no Roku), all asking for either TV or Audio. No IR commands that I see, and if it did, I think it would change the TV setting. Doesn't appear to be a separate device setting, just TV or Audio.

I currently have a plain Streaming Stick, but am willing to buy any unit I need to, as I just got 2 new LG TVs.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

You have problems with both your oem cable remote and the Roku model you own, so both would have to be changed. If you can't give up the Uverse remote, there is no reason to change your Roku model. You could switch your Roku to one that accepts IR commands like Express 4K. Then get a universal remote that will control the Tv, Uverse, and Roku with single remote. Check ebay for Onn 6 universal remote like this:

Onn 6 Universal Remote for sale | eBay

But NOT!! the one with purple cursor pad, you want the one with white translucent cursor pad. 

Or got to your local Best Buy for Insignia 3, 5, or 8 -device models like this:

Insignia™ 8-Device Backlit Universal Remote Black NS-RMT8D21 - Best Buy

Check the open box link on that page for deals. 

Edmund

rraisley
Reel Rookie

Thanks so much for your responses.

Good idea about the Universal Remote. That would definitely operate the Roku, and /probably/ the Uverse. For the TV, it would probably only operate on/off and volume (probably TV channels, but don't use that with Uverse). Of course it couldn't operate all the smart functions of the TV, which are all operated with IR or Wifi (or is it Bluetooth?), but if I use them less, that is still a reasonable way to go. Easier for my wife, anyhow.

It's a shame about the LG remote - it works fine with Roku, and of course the TV, but does almost nothing with the Uverse control (it uses the IR Blaster, but has NO play/record/FFW/FR, etc.). Apparently LG thinks that Uverse is fully serviced if it can change channels. 😞

Back to the ROKU, I want to get two new 4K units, and like the idea of not having line-of-sight to operate it, like my older ROKU units, but I guess I'll have to choose one that has IR in order to use a Universal Remote. Roku isn't very clear about which models require which, so which 4K models would that include?

0 Kudos
renojim

@rraisley, it's only sticks that plug directly into a TV without the need for an HDMI cable that don't support IR remotes.  All other Roku devices do.

0 Kudos
rraisley
Reel Rookie

So it looks like my original choice of the Roku Ultra 2024 (because it's Ultra, right?) would be the way to go. Supposedly best performance and picture, and will work with IR. Only downside is actually seeing the unit, but as my Uverse has to be visible for IR, that is no problem.

Thanks everyone for your help!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.