Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android phone won't work as Roku remote

I have been using the Roku app on my phone (Android) as a remote since I first got the streaming stick. Today it randomly stopped connecting to the TV in my living room. Still works with the TV in my bedroom, it's just the living room that's been affected. No problems with my internet connection and I've exhausted all the troubleshooting options I could find on the Roku support page. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Android phone won't work as Roku remote

Hi @aradiamorgaine,

Thanks for posting to the Roku Community!

We're happy to assist you with your problem connecting to your Roku mobile app. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far? Please try to restart the Roku mobile app. On an Android device, press the recent button and then swipe the Roku app to close it. After doing so, you connect to your Roku device manually. Locate the IP address of your Roku device by going to Settings > Network > About, and then use the steps below to connect manually:

1. Launch the Roku mobile app.
  2. Tap Devices.
  3. Tap Get help?
  4. Select Connect manually.
  5. Enter the IP address of your Roku device and tap Connect.

Please be reminded that if you don't have the IP address of your Roku device, you can't manually connect to the Roku mobile app. We can only suggest that you purchase a physical remote here. You can also check out this link here to learn more about connecting the Roku mobile app to your Roku device over Wi-Fi.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you.

Warm regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Android phone won't work as Roku remote

@aradiamorgaine-

Is this a problem with a Roku TV (one with Roku capability built in) or with a separate Roku device connected to the TV?

The Roku app on your phone can only connect to Rokus that are already connected to the same local WiFi network as the phone is using.   If your Roku has lost its connection to your network, the Roku app on your phone won't be able to see it.

Do you have a physical remote for the livingroom Roku you can use?  If you do, is the Roku functioning okay when you use this remote?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.