Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scottatl
Channel Surfer

2nd Gen - Can it control AV volume?

It always seemed odd to me that Roku does not control AV systems, I hope the new remote works with AV receivers.  I have a Marantz. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 2nd Gen - Can it control AV volume?

If your Marantz accepts hdmi-cec signals it can. When programming the remote for your tv, select CEC instead of IR. If it's TV or Audio device if it accepts cec signals it doesn't matter what type of device it is, same goes for brand of device. All brands accept the same cec signal for volume up or down. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
scottatl
Channel Surfer

Thank you for the reply.  Is this only with generation 2 or does it also work with the remote I have, generation 1 voice? 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

This will work with all Roku voice remotes no matter what generation it is. But if the Marantz is too old to have cec feature than it won't work. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

@scottatl-

It's really a matter of what your TV and connected devices support not what your specific Roku Voice remote does.

By default, Voice Remotes paired with Roku devices control TV functions (Power, Volume, Mute) via IR (infrared) commands sent directly to the TV. If you have a TV which supports control of these functions via CEC (Consumer Electronics Control), you can program your remote/Roku combination to send these commands to the TV via CEC over the HDMI connection instead of via IR from the remote.

This eliminates the need for your remote to contain and be set to the specific IR command set for your TV and eliminates the need to point your remote directly at the TV.   It can also be useful when Roku can't control auxiliary audio equipment directly but your TV can control it via a CEC connection. This formerly could only be set up via "Secret Menu" but it now has been added to the standard user interface

Settings > Remotes & devices > Remotes > √ {Your current remote} > Set up remote for TV control > CEC setup
... and follow the prompts. If this is not available on your TV, it will let you know it failed.

Sadly, both of my TVs are older models that don't support these functions via CEC, so I'm stuck controlling the TVs via IR.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.