Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

UPDATE: Did your Roku remote lose volume and TV control after the latest update? Check here!

Jump to solution

Update 5/19/2021: Resolved

We released a software update today that we believe will fix the TV control issue for customers who lost TV power and volume functions after the latest update.

Thanks for your patience while we investigated this issue. Please perform a software update from your device using the instructions below.

Instructions to manually update your software:
1.  Navigate to Settings
2.  Select System
3.  Select System update
4.  Select Check now

Confirm the dialogue box to proceed with download and installation.  Note that your Roku player will automatically download the latest software the next time when it checks for an update. After the Roku player finishes restarting, your TV volume and power functions should be restored.

After the Roku player finishes restarting, if your TV control functions have not been restored, set up your remote for TV control again by doing the following:

1.   Navigate to Settings
2.  Select Remotes & devices
3.  Select Remotes followed by your remote
4.  Select Set up remote for TV control

Our FAQ provides additional information and complete steps on how to set up your enhanced remote to control your TV.

Please post here ONLY if you have performed the update and your remote TV power and volume functions have not been restored. Please include your Device ID, software version and build, and your TV make/model.  

Thank you!

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: UPDATE: Did your Roku remote lose volume and TV control after the latest update? Check here!

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the post.

Please provide us with the following information so we can investigate the issue further:
-what remote model (found in Settings > Remotes and Devices > Remotes > select the remote > About > Model)
-software OS/version (found in Settings > System > About)
-did your remote control the TV before?
-make and model of TV?
-are you connected to an AVR?
Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku remote loses volume and TV control I have tried everything.

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

We believe we have found the cause of the issue of Roku remotes losing TV control of volume and power and expect the issue to be resolved in a future update.

If you are still experiencing this issue after updating to OS 11.0, please feel free to search for another thread related to your issue, or create a new thread regarding the issue you are experiencing.

In the meantime, we will be closing this thread out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
798 REPLIES 798
Icabear
Channel Surfer

Re: UPDATE: Did your Roku remote lose volume and TV control after the latest update? Check here!

Jump to solution

I did as said but when I clicked on the link to report it still wasn't working, it told me I didn't have authority to access that page!  Now what?

RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi @Icabear!

Check for an update on your Roku player. Navigate to Home > Settings > System > System Update > Check Now. Once you have the latest update, please let us know if your Roku remote regains TV power and volume functions.

If it isn't resolved for you, let us know your device model and your software version, found under Home > Settings > System > About.

Thanks!

-Austin

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

Jump to solution

Hi, yes this has been driving us bonkers so I just broke down and ordered a new Roku remote! then I thought, wait, let me look at the root cause because maybe our Optimum/Altice WiFi just isn’t compatible?   This is the 3rd remote we’ve purchased in a year and we have weird glitchy and connectivity issues pretty much every day! I will try what you suggest but if it doesn’t work, what next?

Baxa
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

This update made NO IMPROVEMENT to my remote...Still can’t control volume or power.,.

As was the case before the update, when I go to choose the remote for my brand of TV (Sharp), I get code 1 and answer YES that I can her sound BUT NO that sound does not stop...Then there are NO MORE CHOICES of codes it simply gives an error saying “sorry it seems like this Sharp TV will not work with a Roku remote”...

prior to the original update, this always gave me 20 or more Sharp TV codes and I was able to successfully choose a working one...

so NO SOLUTION HAS BEEN FOUND!!!

Susanle59
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Did the software update and set up the remote again and volume button works but power button still does not work. 

3800rw

NEC L406T3

Remote model RC128

10.0.0 build 4198-55

JeffH2

Jump to solution

Model.  466ox. Roku ultra

serial. Number.  YJOOD3458269. (CK384D458269

software.    10.00* build 4198-46

Issue number. 69-200-803

hillary412

Jump to solution

Hey There!  Update didn't work for me.

I have an LG TV

Roku Model 3810X 

Current Software: 10.0.0 build 4198-50

Timler63
Binge Watcher

3800x Remote not working with Samsung TV

Jump to solution

Up until yesterday, the remote for our 3800x was able to power the Samsung TV on & off.  Now it doesn’t.  I have upgraded software for the stick, paired the remote and set it to work with the TV.  No luck.

swivwaller

Jump to solution

Model: 3810X - Roku Streaming Stick +

Serial Number: YH00C7694454 (2139CC694454)

Software version: 10.0.0 * build 4198-50

Time stamp: 2021-05-20T15:16:29Z

Issue ID: 54-201-076

TV Make:  Sharp

TV Details:

55N3070UW(1001)

G172053