Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku 3 - MicroSD Info Please

Jump to solution

Looking for too long on this site, finding NO simple clear info on installing a Micro-SD card in the classic Roku 3 player.  Note that the generic instruction to 'insert the card' makes no apparent sense for this model 4200X -- which has only 3 inputs on the back panel of the unit (Power, HDMI, Ethernet), and a USB port on the side. 

Roku's "2GB microSD Card" is supposed to be compatible with the Roku 3, but I can't see Where... (I kept flipping it over & over, but it's just a little box with 6 sides ;-).  Frustrating:  Search functions on this site are dumb and useless... if any query leads everywhere, nothing can be found.
Please enlighten me and point to available refs or a manual online. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 11

Re: Roku 3 - MicroSD Info Please

Jump to solution

Unplug everything and take a close look at those connectors. You should see a small slot below the HDMI connector and a label "Micro SD" below the "HDMI" label. This is according to https://www.roku.com/products/roku-3#!

It's also the same location on the current Roku Ultra. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

Unplug everything and take a close look at those connectors. You should see a small slot below the HDMI connector and a label "Micro SD" below the "HDMI" label. This is according to https://www.roku.com/products/roku-3#!

It's also the same location on the current Roku Ultra. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

Also note that the Roku support page indicates:

"For best results, we recommend a Class 2 or greater micro SD card with a minimum of 2GB storage"

I picked up two faster 16 GB cards cheaper than what Roku offers, and both used over 2 GB immediately.

https://support.roku.com/article/208756158-how-do-i-increase-memory-with-a-micro-sd-card-

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks, now it makes sense... of course the tiny microSD slot was hidden under the live HDMI connection.  Good advice too on getting a bigger better cheaper card, and thanks for the link... hopefully there are clear instructions on the installation & formatting procedure.
Gracias_FreeFrog

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

@FreeFrog wrote:

hopefully there are clear instructions on the installation & formatting procedure.
Gracias_FreeFrog

Not really. You have all the info available now. I will tell you the one mistake you can make (or the one I made): assuming how the card should be oriented when plugging it in. I just pulled one to double check, and the copper contacts face up, toward the HDMI connector above it. First one I put in upside down, couldn't remove it, and had to disassemble the Roku to extract it. If it's in right, a push with a fingernail will make it pop out; upside down, not so much...

The Roku I use most is using ~4.2 GB. One less used is at ~2.9. And the one that puts me to sleep doesn't have a card. They all have the same channels, the cards are 16 GB, so I guess usage doesn't depend directly on how many channels are installed.

If I recall, the formatting was just answering a prompt after powering up the first time after the card is installed.

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku 3 - MicroSD After Update

Jump to solution

I assume that the Roku 3 was updated, because I can tell that the menu prompts and some other minor details.

I did not know it had updated because I hadn’t had the TV on for about 5 days.  But, I opened the YouTube channel and it came up first thing and said it would be best to install a microSD card at this point so that channels do not have to keep reloading themselves.

And let me tell you, it re-downloaded YouTube and everything was terribly slow,  so I deleted a couple of channels, and it started acting behaving as before. I do not have that many channels anyway… Maybe 15. I bought it about three years ago I guess and it was the fastest thing going. But they keep updating everything, including the apps for all cell phones, and it winds up bloating the code.

But I did put the microSD card in that I use with a GoPro, and I haven’t used that in forever and I think it is a class 10. Most SD cards or microSD cards that you buy these days should be a class 10, and if it doesn’t specify then it definitely is supposed class 10.

As far as I know, they are so cheap these days that they don’t really specify the class unless it is less than 10.