Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: None of the buttons on the Roku remote are working EXCEPT the power and volume buttons

@desert-son 

Remotes don't communicate with the stick itself, they send wifi signal to bump in the usb cable. So it might have gone bad or you switched out cables?  The reason the tv commands still work is they're IR commands that go directly to the tv. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
desert-son
Reel Rookie

Re: None of the buttons on the Roku remote are working EXCEPT the power and volume buttons

Ah. Thanks, Edmund! That explains it. It may have just gone bad (my stick gets pretty hot after hours of use). I found an old Roku 4 remote that I paired with the stick. So far so good!

0 Kudos
fishrman
Reel Rookie

not even the power button works for me

Have the Ultra and it has worked fine for the last few years but suddenly it is totally unusable. I have done everything in troubleshooting. Have even tried a factory reset to no avail. Tried on a different tv with same result. Time for a new ROKU or time for a new Smart TV?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: not even the power button works for me

@fishrman

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?
With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
desert-son
Reel Rookie

As an fyi, I tried troubleshooting. A complete reset works for about 30-45 min, then the remote is bricked (exc vol/on-off). Next I tried pairing with a different Roku remote (this one didn't have the mute button--not sure which exact remote). Everything worked well for a few hours, then blam: another sorta bricked remote. 

Getting old fast. Will either get a new Roku, or use an old Apple TV (but will miss the Roku channel). 

0 Kudos
LubbMasheen
Reel Rookie

What more information do you want? The freaking remote just stopped working altogether. Can't turn the tv on even. Tried resetting the remote. Tried resetting the Roku device. Tried unplugging the cord from the Roku for 1 minute. Tried unplugging the Roku from the tv for 1 minute. Tried new batteries. One day I was using it to turn on the tv, change the volume, and select what I wanted to stream, and the next it just stopped working completely.

0 Kudos
desert-son
Reel Rookie

Update: Switched to a Roku Express on the same TV, paired with same remote that previously "bricked." No issues after 1.5 days. I suspect it's an issue with the Roku stick, at least in my case.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@desert-son @LubbMasheen

Thanks for the posts.

In order for us to investigate the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 
-troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue you are experiencing

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos