Lights & power

Add Roku lights and smart plugs to your smart home. Learn how it works with virtual assistants, get troubleshooting tips, and find resources from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Purplekitty1
Channel Surfer

Smart rule for plug not working

New  Roku plug, configured for my network and firmware upgraded. I created a simple rule: turn on x minutes before sunset (location set properly), shut off at a certain time. It is well past sunset and the attached lamp is still dark (power switch is on). Last night (after sunset) when I set it up,  it failed to shut off at the right time and I had to hit the power button on the roku plug. Why is Roku home ignoring my one and only rule? When I display the rule,  it shows up properly. 

Update: I also added a rule with discrete start and end times rather than being relative to the sun. Still didn't work. 

0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Smart rule for plug not working

@Purplekitty1

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to assist you further with the issue you are experiencing. Can you please provide us with the Log ID when this issue occurs (from the Roku Smart Home app, select Account > Roku Support > Submit a log)?

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate the issue further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
nevertheless
Reel Rookie

I'd appreciate an actual answer to the question, because I have the same problem with a simple on at 4:29 / off at 9:29 schedule. Neither light (I have two "smart" plugs) comes on, and if I turn them on myself using the app, they don't go off on schedule.

Grr.

0 Kudos
nevertheless
Reel Rookie

Does nobody actually READ these posts?

My phone of course is connected to the fastest wi-fi link, which is of course 5 ghz. Nothing in the instructions addresses this problem. Must I change my iPhone SE so that it's using the 2.4 ghz link in order to have my "rules" obeyed? At present I can only operate the "smart plugs" manually, turning them off and on individually. The time schedule is ignored. It's also ignored when I use On At Sunset.

I used to use X-10, which worked wonderfully well until LEDs came into our lives. Then as a patchwork I switched to plug-in timers, which worked pretty well except when I had to change the garage light, which meant trekking to the garage, climbing the stairs, and messing with the plug. This took about half an hour, and usually meant doing it all over again next day because I forgot to switch of the garage attic light.

Any chance of getting an actual answer here?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@nevertheless

Thanks for the posts.

We would be more than happy to look further into the issue for you.

Can you please provide the information I have requested from the OP in my post above? 

With more detailed information, I'll be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jf6
Reel Rookie

@nevertheless

I just installed a couple new plugs and was able to set a rule. During install I realized the app does not always give pop up reminders. I was able to set them up with location and bluetooth turned on. Here were some quirks that came up...

I am able to use 5G on my phone even though plugs are on 2.4.

I had to change permission to access location always rather than just when using the app.

I set the rule but the app did not like the address so I had to use precise location. This required me to re-enter the same address.

Maybe use Google or Alexa to set the rule? The Roku Home gadgets work with both of those.

0 Kudos
GhostGlitch
Channel Surfer

Confirmed. Smart rules don't work either. Have it setup to turn off when I leave home. The app has location set to all the time. It never turned the plug off. Nothing but problems with this plug. Not buying again unless they either release an api or join the Matter standard.

0 Kudos
GhostGlitch
Channel Surfer

Would help if Google Home could find the device. Horrible product in general.

0 Kudos
RealGriz
Channel Surfer

I have three plugs- two indoor and one outdoor. All three were setup to control Christmas lights (tree, mantle and outdoor) with schedules and all three worked fine for 3 days. Then yesterday, at sundown (the turn on time chosen), none worked. I had to manually turn all three on. I will see if the same issue happens today and grab a log file if it does.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@RealGriz

Thanks for the post.

Please keep us posted if the issue you are experiencing persists. If so, can you please provide us with the Log ID when this issue occurs (from the Roku Smart Home app, select Account > Roku Support > Submit a log)?

Once we have that information, we will be able to investigate the issue further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.