Issue Tracking Board

Status updates, outage reports, fixes, and workarounds. Subscribe to a thread be notified of updates!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
De71
Reel Rookie

Re: Error Code 022 - wireless receiver not detected

Jump to solution

Really shove the the charger into the Roku stick. It seems like it's in, but it isn't.

0 Kudos
TomHolland
Binge Watcher

Error Code 022 - New Streaming Stick 4Ks - Defective out of the box

Jump to solution
Re: Roku Streaming Stick 4K Error Code 022

I am a cord-cutting contractor.  I setup an average of 6 Roku Streaming Stick 4Ks per week.  I know how to do it.  Today I attempted to install 3 of them.  They all failed with error code 022.  I tried the same Roku on 2 TVs.  I then tried a second Streaming Stick 4K on the same 2 TVs.  It also failed,  I tried the third and it also failed.  All 3 were purchased by my customer on Amazon.  She had a 4th from Best Buy, a 5th refurbished from Walmart and I had one on my truck which I bought some time ago on Amazon.  I was able to get the customer set up using the latter 3 Rokus with no trouble.  The customer returned all 3 Rokus to Amazon noting the Error 022 as the reason.  I replaced my spare, purchasing it from Roku. com rather than Amazon.  I'll test it for the Error Code 022 problem as soon as I get it.

Attention ROKU:  You have a problem with a batch of Roku Streaming Stick 4Ks !!!  

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Error Code 022 - New Streaming Stick 4Ks - Defective out of the box

Jump to solution

@TomHolland 

Error code 022 is generally an issue with the Wireless Receiver (the cable that contains the wireless NIC/module - often referred to as the bumpy part in the cable).

When you were swapping devices during troubleshooting, did you swap the entire package (device and cable), or were you just swapping devices with the same suspect cable?

Some users also run into issues when trying to setup multiple sticks using the same cable.  (although it should not matter -since just a wireless module, seems like some networks just reject the setup.  Likely a firewall issue sensing an attack/compromise with different device numbers from same wireless module).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
TomHolland
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi Avs, Thank you for your reply.  However, it isn't very helpful.  As I pointed out, I install an average of six Roku Streaming Sticks per week.  I swapped out the whole unit, cable and stick THREE TIMES.  Then I used three different Roku Streaming Stick 4Ks and they worked.  You can't blame the network or the firewall or the TV (as Roku support wanted to do).  Roku has an issue with a batch of Streaming Stick 4Ks.  I tried to tell them but they are not very receptive.  All three were purchased on Amazon and all were defective and returned with the reason "Error Core 022".  I guess we'll read about it on CNET or CordCuttersNews before Roku takes the problem seriously, identifies the batch and recalls them.  I love and recommend the 4K and Roku as a company.  I hate to see it tarnished in this way.  Oh well.    

renojim

Jump to solution

@TomHolland, I have to wonder how many of those sticks were returned to Amazon after swapping out the cable. 🤔

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
TomHolland
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I don't understand your comment as it relates to my post.  I'm not sure what you mean by "Swapping out the cable".  In my case, my customer returned three complete units - the Roku Streaming Stick 4K, the USB cable with built-in WiFi antenna, remote, USB adapter.  As I mentioned, when the three new ones got the Error Code 022, I swapped them for other kits completely.  I did not sectionalize the problem as to whether the LRW cable is bad or the Streaming Stick 4K is bad.  To do that, I would have had to use a known good Stick and its cable.  I did not do that.  In hindsight, it would have been a good idea to identify which component is bad.  I also would have liked to get the serial numbers of the returned Rokus but I did not.  I suspect it will happen again (which is why I posted it here).  I'll sectionalize the problem next time.  At the time of the installation, I was shocked that these units were all bad and I just wanted to get my customer up and running.  "Happy streaming"   

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @TomHolland,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about your issue with the Roku streaming sticks. Please be advised that Error Code 022 indicates "wireless receiver not detected". You can request a long-range Wi-Fi receiver on the Roku website or from where you purchased your device. Ensure that all cables are working, and you also need to check the connection cables and make sure they're firmly in place. Unplug your Roku device and disconnect it from any power source. After a few seconds, plug everything back in and turn your device back on.

If there's anything else that we can do to assist you, let us know.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TomHolland
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply, Eunice, however I think you and Roku are still in denial re a batch of Roku Streaming Stick 4Ks that can't get beyond Error Code 022.  As I said, I do these all the time, an average of six per week.  I know how to activate them.  Recently, three Roku Streaming Stick 4Ks, purchased from Amazon, did not work out of the box.  I'm aware that I can purchase a LRW cable at your site for $19.99 which is half the cost of a Roku!!!  Why would I do that when the Roku was defective out of the box?

"Happy Streaming"

renojim

Jump to solution

@TomHolland, what I mean is that unscrupulous people have been know to buy a new stick just to get the Wi-Fi receiver.  They put their bad cable back in the box and return it.  Now they got a $20 cable for free and the next unsuspecting person that gets the returned stick has a bad cable.  Given Amazon's generous return policy, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that happens.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
TomHolland
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I understand now.  Thank you

0 Kudos