Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Playing audio through home stereo system

When watching TV programming  via my cable box I am able to play the audio through my home stereo receiver and speakers.   However, when the programming is coming via my Roku Express the audio is only produced from the TV speaker.  In fact, if the cable box is also on, that audio is heard through the home stereo, while the Roku audio is heard through the TV.

Can I play the Roku programming audio through the home speakers?  What must i do?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Playing audio through home stereo system

Really depends on your setup.  Maybe outline what equipment you have and how they are all connected to eachother.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

It should be possible, depending upon your available TV and AVR inputs/outputs.

Here is how my system is configured:

{ROKU Ultra} ==HDMI==> {LG AVR} <==HDMI== {LG TV} <==COAX/Ant.==

5.1  Surround Speakers

Your configuration options will depend upon your specific hardware.

Roku 3500X
Roku 4400X
Roku 4661X
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Sounds to me that your Roku is connected directly to the TV, and not the audio video receiver (AVR). If you don't have HDMI inputs on the AVR that would make sense. Otherwise, it should be connected to your AVR. But if you must connect directly to the TV, then you need to send the TV audio back out to your home audio. This can be done one of two ways: either back through the HDMI cable using what is called Audio Return Channel (ARC), or using an optical audio cable from the TV to the receiver. 

Since your cable box is connected to your AVR, I have to assume that it does have HDMI input/output, so unless you've used all your available inputs, connect the Roku straight to the AVR.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

My  Sony Receiver predates the HDMI days.  The ROKU is connected to the TV via HDMI. The TV audio is connected to the receiver by standard Red/White cables.  The cable box is connected to the TV via HDMI.  I'm beginning to think that I'm just out of luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@B_B wrote:

My  Sony Receiver predates the HDMI days.  The ROKU is connected to the TV via HDMI. The TV audio is connected to the receiver by standard Red/White cables.  The cable box is connected to the TV via HDMI.  I'm beginning to think that I'm just out of luck.

You still should be able to get your Roku audio sent out via the analog cables from the TV. But first, make sure you have your Roku audio output set to Stereo, not Auto. This should ensure you send audio to the TV that it can send back out. Then in the TV there should be a setting to disable the TV speakers. Turn them off, and the Roku should appear in your Sony on the same input as the TV.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos