Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobBob1
Reel Rookie

roku the advertising for everyone

Jump to solution

I have noticed that when I do searches in ROKU. The show I want to see shows up. But never on ROKU. It is like ROKU is just advertising for all the other channels. Why would I want to pay $9.99 for 10 different channels. Then have to pay $70.00 or more for internet. That's $169.90 a month for TV plus my regular TV. If ROKU is not showing a show why are the directing us to a channel we don't have. I call foul. 

Ask me if I would like to search other channels if it is not on ROKU. Don't show the movie like you have it then pass me off that a pay channel. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: roku the advertising for everyone

Jump to solution

@RobBob1 

Generally, all the viewing options for a given title will be returned from a Search.  If available for free, will be listed among the Results indicating Free.  If not streaming for free, then the options for rental, purchase, or joining a subscription channel which is licensed to provide the title will be listed.

As a general rule, New releases (ie. new movies) will rarely, if ever be offered for Free.  

As for showing all the other services in the Search results, this is what originally drew me to Roku, as early Roku was a neutral service and didn't promote itself or play favorites in the Search Results.  It simply provided the platform and the means to gain access to the content to any channel/service that was offering it. (up for debate whether these early ideals are still in place).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@RobBob1 

Generally, all the viewing options for a given title will be returned from a Search.  If available for free, will be listed among the Results indicating Free.  If not streaming for free, then the options for rental, purchase, or joining a subscription channel which is licensed to provide the title will be listed.

As a general rule, New releases (ie. new movies) will rarely, if ever be offered for Free.  

As for showing all the other services in the Search results, this is what originally drew me to Roku, as early Roku was a neutral service and didn't promote itself or play favorites in the Search Results.  It simply provided the platform and the means to gain access to the content to any channel/service that was offering it. (up for debate whether these early ideals are still in place).

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Are you talking about the search on the home screen or a search within the Roku Channel?  I don't use the Roku Channel myself, so if the main menu search screen only searched that, then it wouldn't be very useful to me.  But I think a search within an individual channel/app should return results for that channel/app. (Including The Roku Channel if that's where you are searching.)

Lately, especially with the search redesign, I'm using websites like justwatch to find stuff.

0 Kudos
RobBob1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am talking about inside Roku channel. Why else would I have brought it up. If I were do a broad scope search of all the channels then I would expect to get results from all the channels. But when I am in Roku and do a search for say like Jack Reacher. I should not be directed to a pay Channel Roku should just say they don't have it or show no results.

0 Kudos
RobBob1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Your response really doesn't make sense if I am in my HBO Max and I do a search and they do not have what I'm looking for they do not suggest I look at Paramount. Or suggest I look at Roku. It just comes back as no results if I am in Roku Channel and do a search why am I directed to say Paramount or Disney or one of any other 10 channels instead of just coming back with no results.

Roku is just advertising for the other channels they no longer have movies. I did a search for Jack Reacher which has nothing to do with new shows.  It directed me to another pay Channel.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@RobBob1 wrote:

I am talking about inside Roku channel. Why else would I have brought it up.

Well, "in ROKU" and "on ROKU" were just a little too vague for me to be sure since that sounds more like the device to me.  Sorry.  I don't use "The Roku Channel" so I have no idea about its details. 

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@RobBob1, there are many "Premium" channels available within "The Roku Channel".  Any search within "The Roku Channel" will display results for those premium channels.  Roku gets a significant cut of those subscriptions, so of course they're going to suggest them to you.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos