Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bri
Channel Surfer

Will the Ultra 2024 model handle PGS and other image-based subtitles when playing MKV files via Plex

True.  Roku barely has ads at all.  

Fire TV is nearly impossible (or at least highly annoying) to navigate. 

If ROKU would add a gig ethernet connection and the ability to decode image based subs, I would use it exclusively. 

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Will the Ultra 2024 model handle PGS and other image-based subtitles when playing MKV files via Plex

Give us the option to get the new Roku Ultra with a regular voice remote that takes batteries. The rechargeable remotes are full of problems and this new second edition one is less appealing than the original. Forcing the rechargeable remote is a deal breaker for me.

0 Kudos
oliviawhite1979
Reel Rookie

@Bri wrote:

Will the Ultra 2024  2024 model handle PGS and other image-based subtitles when playing MKV files via Plex media server app? 

Past Roku models have not, and forced me to abandon ROKU for Nvida Shield, which handles PGS subs without issue.   

El modelo Ultra 2024 podrá manejar subtítulos PGS y otros subtítulos basados en imágenes al reproducir archivos MKV a través de la aplicación Plex Media Server. Los modelos anteriores de Roku no ofrecían esta funcionalidad, lo que llevó a muchos usuarios a optar por dispositivos como el Nvidia Shield, que sí los soporta sin problemas. Sin embargo, se espera que el Ultra 2024 haya mejorado su compatibilidad con distintos formatos de subtítulos, así que deberías tener una experiencia más satisfactoria con estos tipos de subtítulos.

0 Kudos
Bri
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the reply, but other commentators say it won't handle PGS or has to transcode.  On previous models, transcoding image-based subtitles crashed PLEX.  

I need to know if the ULTRA will handle uncompressed 4K 2160p Blu-ray to MKV conversions with PGS subtitles without crashing, as the NVIDIA does.

Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

No, image based captions (PGS, DVDSUB) cannot be displayed on any Roku device. The only supported captions are text based, either embedded within the media container or an external file such as an SRT. Plex or other media servers are burning the image based caption into the video stream, which requires a more powerful server. 

There is no reason any Roku device will not display the captions that have been burned into the video stream, Ultra or otherwise. My media server (Serviio) has the ability to bur-n the captions into the video, but I had it turned off so there's no performance hit on the server. It could handle it, but since I use a Shield for most of my local media watching it's not necessary. But I have no problem using Plex and enabling the caption display with any of my Roku devices. My Ultra 4800 as well as my Express 4K+ can play my ripped 4K Blu Ray discs as long as I'm using WiFi for the connection. The Ultra has a Fast Ethernet connection, which supports at best about 92 Mbps streaming, and my UHD movie rips can peak over 150 Mbps. So using the Ethernet jack is not possible for watching my UHD rips. Using 802.11ac WiFi my Ultra reports a 220 Mbps connection, and my Express 4K+ reports about 190. So both can play those movies. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
NorthIdahoStrmr
Channel Surfer

Amazon reviews indicate that the

DREADFUL AUDIO PROBLEM THAT HAS EXISTED FOR YEARS WITH PRIOR roku ultra DEVICES

STILL EXISTS WITH THE 2024 version.

It seems obvious (to me) that issues either never get relayed to the engineering/design teams or those teams have DontGiveASh1tItis

Audio goes up on its own

Audio goes down on its own

Audio Distorts on its own

Several times a day.

Don't give me a scripted response for things to check.  Those items have been checked ad-nausium and documented by many people in the Roku Community.

Custom links to "Support" only end with automated messages for a detailed response that go without further response... ie:  ignored

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.