Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dace99

What is your opinoin Time to upgrade my Roku?

I’ve had a Roku stick from 2016, idk if it’s app optimization or my Roku is just too old now but apps frequently crash, some menus (like peacock) take multiple clicks to navigate, some streams like nfl are out of sync with video and audio.

I think it’s time to upgrade? Even back in 2016 this was the lowest end slow model lol.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: What is your opinion Time to upgrade my Roku?

If your Stick is the purple model, that's the 3500 (released March 2014) and indeed does have issues with some recent channels. If the Stick is black, it's probably the 3600 (released April 2016), and works with most all of the current channels. But even the 3600 is now almost 6 years old, and is a 4th generation device, while the latest players are 10th generation. So a lot has changed in those six years. In 2016 the 3600 was by no means the low end model, but if yours is the 3500 I would tend to agree.

My personal opinion is it's time to update a device when you have issues using your existing device. When my Roku 2 XS became unusable with YouTube, I upgraded to a Roku 4. Since the Roku 4 doesn't support HDR, I upgraded fairly quickly to the Ultra. Since then, I still use that original Ultra, but have also bought two newer Ultras, a Premiere and an Express 4K+. My old Roku 4 is still in use by my granddaughter, since her TV isn't 4K the lack of HDR doesn't matter. My old 3600 Stick is used by my grandson, but is only used occasionally. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.