Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fronk
Channel Surfer

Ultra resolution has been reset to automatic... that's NOT what I want though

Hi!

I am having an issue lately where when I set my Ultra to "4K HDR TV" and eventually (at the end of the night for instance) turn off my TV, my Roku automatically resets my resolution to "Automatic (4K Dolby Vision)" which I do not want.

It only started doing this consistently very recently and I see that Roku updated on Nov 2 so I'm guessing that has something to do with it as I've only very rarely had this happen prior. Normally I set it to HDR and it stayed on the HDR setting only resetting after updates etc.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Ultra resolution has been reset to automatic... that's NOT what I want though

@Fronk-

I don't know if this is your problem, but it may be ...

When the "HDMI handshake" indicates the display device doesn't support the current Roku display settings, by default the Roku's "automatic recovery" kicks in and switches the Roku back to "auto detect" mode.   If the TV (or an intermediate device you are connecting through) incorrectly reports during the handshake that it doesn't support a capability you have successfully set the Roku to use, this can cause the Roku to switch back to "auto detect" when you don't want it to. 

You can currently turn this "automatic recovery" feature off via a "secret menu" option.  [CAVEAT: "secret menus" are not officially supported, may not work on all Roku models, and may be discontinued at any time.] 

To access the ROKU HDMI secret menu:  Press Home five times. Immediately press Down, then Left. Press Up three times. The HDMI secret menu should open. Click on "disable automatic recovery" to turn it off.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Fronk
Channel Surfer

Re: Ultra resolution has been reset to automatic... that's NOT what I want though

Hi @makaiguy  and thanks for your reply!

I'll give that a try when I get home later but I am wondering if it may be something more only because I would think that the device would take a 'step down' in the compatibility ladder rather than up. Like from  "4K HDR" down to just 4K or 1080p etc rather than up to DolbyV.

It's almost like the device is saying "only HDR? You can do better... here, you want Dolby Vision!" which it never used to do.

Matter of fact it used to only go from HDR to DolbyV when I actually had DolbyV content on, which was perfect because imo that's the only time the DolbyV setting looks good on my TV (and it looks GREAT) and then after the content was finished it would automatically set back to HDR again

thanks again

0 Kudos
Fronk
Channel Surfer

Hi again @makaiguy 

I'm pretty sure I'll have to manually set it to Dolby Vision when I play Dolby Vision content but your trick has helped me with having to set it to HDR every time I start my TV/Roku so THANK YOU very much!

0 Kudos