Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
allen4600
Binge Watcher

Streaming stick fast forward and rewind

I have a new streaming stick.  My internet connection is strong, over 100 MBPS.  When hitting the rewind button to replay a section, it will not scan back quickly, only 10 seconds at a time, whether I hold the button down or hit it continually.  What’s wrong?  My old player never had this issue.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Streaming stick fast forward and rewind

Hi @allen4600

Thank you for the post!

If your new Roku streaming stick is not quickly rewinding when you press and hold the rewind button, it may be due to a setting on your device. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:

• Check the "Instant replay" setting: Go to Settings > Playback > Instant replay and make sure it is set to "On." This setting enables you to quickly jump back 10 seconds by pressing the rewind button once.
  • Check the "Rewind time" setting: Go to Settings > Playback > Rewind time and make sure it is set to the maximum time allowed, which is currently 60 seconds. This setting determines how far back you can rewind at once.
  • Try a different remote: If you are using the remote that came with the Roku streaming stick, try using a different remote to see if the issue persists. You can also use the Roku mobile app as a remote control to see if that works better.
  • Restart the Roku streaming stick: Press the Home button on your remote, then go to Settings > System > System restart and select "Restart." This will restart your Roku streaming stick and may help resolve the issue.
  • Reset the Roku streaming stick: If none of the above steps work, you can try resetting your Roku streaming stick to its factory settings. Go to Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Factory reset. Follow the prompts to reset your device. Note that this will erase all your settings and preferences, so you will need to set up your Roku streaming stick again.

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
allen4600
Binge Watcher

Doesn't the streaming stick allow one to go forward or back quickly for the complete duration of the video being watched?  My old Roku player did.  It seems like this new player has discontinued this feature?  Frustrating.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@RokuLianna wrote:
  • Check the "Instant replay" setting: Go to Settings > Playback > Instant replay and make sure it is set to "On." This setting enables you to quickly jump back 10 seconds by pressing the rewind button once.
  • Check the "Rewind time" setting: Go to Settings > Playback > Rewind time and make sure it is set to the maximum time allowed, which is currently 60 seconds. This setting determines how far back you can rewind at once.

My three installed Rokus (listed in my signature) don't have a Playback item under Settings.  Further, I've had Rokus for quite a few years now, and I don't recall ever having seen a Playback menu item.

My Rokus are all still on Roku 11.5.   Is this something new in 12.0, perhaps?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
allen4600
Binge Watcher

There is no playback menu under settings.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@allen4600

Thanks for following up. 

We appreciate you letting us know about your experience with the rewind/foward feature on your new Roku streaming stick. To better assist you, may we kindly ask if this issue occurs on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device? Have you also tried to restart your Roku device to see if it helps? 

We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

Keep us posted on what you find out. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos