Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
makross
Channel Surfer

Screen mirroring from Windows PC not working - narrowing down the culprit...

Miracast screen mirroring to my Roku Express is not working. My Windows 11 computer connects to the Roku but it only loads one-third through then fails.

There has been a previous thread about this same problem: https://community.roku.com/t5/Features-settings-updates/Miracast-Connecting-PC-to-Roku-Help/td-p/758.... However the solution some people confirmed there was to disable McAfee. However I don't have McAfee antivirus/firewall installed, I only have Windows's own security tools. I've tried disabling the Windows firewall and real-time protection but it didn't make any difference.

Someone on that thread suggested to change the Roku's static IP address. But that cannot be correct at all because Miracast uses Wi-Fi Direct i.e. it doesn't use LAN and your home router, it connects directly one-to-one. So it's nonsensical.

I've tested to narrow down the problem and can confirm the following:

• Miracast screen mirroring from my Samsung Galaxy to the Roku works fine. This proves the Roku itself is OK.
  • Miracast screen mirroring from my Windows laptop to my friend's Amazon Fire Stick - which I borrowed to test this - also works fine. This proves that my laptop and Windows are also OK.

This means the problem lies specifically between Windows 11 & Roku. I hope someone can find a solution to this and I will try to.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Screen mirroring from Windows PC not working - narrowing down the culprit...

It's something with Windows, but I can't pinpoint it. I never had any issue with Windows 10 projecting to my Roku, but something changed with Windows 11. For the longest time it simply would not connect. Recently I tried it again, and amazingly it now connected. However, it's still hit or miss if it will connect. I really don't think it's the fault of Roku. My guess is Microsoft is getting security tighter and making it more difficult for other devices to connect. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
makross
Channel Surfer

Re: Screen mirroring from Windows PC not working - narrowing down the culprit...

Well just now I have found what could be a possible cause. Here https://windowsreport.com/cast-windows-10-roku/ scroll down to the first comment there, someone's said putting the Wi-Fi on both PC and Roku on the 5 GHz band is what made them work.

I just went to try this out but unfortunately the Roku I have (Express 3930/SE) only supports the 2.4 GHz band. Apparently only the cheapest Express or at least the one I have is not dual band. So unlucky me.

Is your Roku dual band? You can try setting it to 5 GHz and do the same to your PC network adapter in Windows and test if maybe that really is the cause.

0 Kudos
atc98092

I have an older Premiere that is single band. Most of my screen mirroring was done with my Ultra. Until recently I've kept it hard wired, but I've recently switched it to WiFi because the connection speed is more than double what the Ethernet port supports. Yes, it is dual band, as are my laptops. I'm not certain I accept their argument that both devices must be on the same WiFi band, since mine worked fine with a wireless laptop and a wired Roku. 

Just so you know, all current new Roku players now are dual band, even the low cost basic Express. I still recommend paying a bit more for the Express 4K+, because I still feel it's a much better product.

Dan

makross
Channel Surfer

I see. Perhaps someone else may want to try the radio band "solution" out. And yes indeed, I have checked just now and it looks like all Express models since 3940 are dual band, whereas Ultra and the Stick have been so for many years.

Anyway the hunt goes on to find the possible cause of the mirroring problem.

Update: look at this post by the user named 'MTS' where they too say that the radio band on 5 GHz made it work: https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Re-How-to-fix-screen-mirroring-not-working-with-my-Roku-de.... This really could be the culprit and it's worth testing out.

0 Kudos
Swagsterr

Hey, I feel your frustration with the screen mirroring issue to your Roku Express on Windows 11. It can be really annoying when tech glitches like this pop up. A while back, I had a similar problem with my smart TV and Windows 11, and after trying a bunch of troubleshooting steps, what finally worked for me was doing a Windows 11 factory reset with a "how to factory reset pc windows 11" guide. It's kind of like hitting the reset button on your system settings, which can sometimes clear up those stubborn connectivity issues. Just make sure to back up your important stuff first!

0 Kudos
atc98092

OK, I just tested my Roku Ultra 4800 connected to my 5 GHz access point and my Alienware (Dell) laptop running Windows 11 and connected to my 2.4 GHz access point. It took a bit longer than expected (maybe 30-45 seconds) but it did successfully screen mirror my laptop on the Roku. 

So, as expected it did not matter that the two devices were connected on different frequency bands. As long as both radios connect to the same private network, screen mirroring worked fine. 

Dan

0 Kudos
makross
Channel Surfer

Thanks for your inputs. I guess right now I am not in a position where I can reset my Windows. It's worth repeating though that it connected fine to a Fire TV so it sounds odd that a reset could make it suddenly work with the Roku.

Appreciate the test. I guess it's not the case for you then, but we can at least say that for some people changing the radio frequency band worked, so it's a potential solution for anyone reading this.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.