Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hatingusernames
Reel Rookie

Screen Reader Settings Shows Off, BUT words are on screen

This occurs at random on at least two services ( Max and Paramount). Just started so I don't know if it will crop up. I have tried disabling everything. Even stopped closed captioning but the helpful voice will not shut up.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Screen Reader Settings Shows Off, BUT words are on screen

Hi @hatingusernames,

Kindly try to perform the correct sequence to reboot this channel by removing the channel, restarting the device, and adding the channel. You can also check for the channel's additional options by clicking the star button on your remote during playback. Also, make sure the screen captioning feature is disabled in the Roku settings. This support article will show you how.

Please let us know if this fixes the issue.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Screen Reader Settings Shows Off, BUT words are on screen

"Screen reader" announces Roku menu options, etc., as a voice overlay for the benefit of the visually impaired. 

Your description sounds more like closed captioning that displays spoken dialog from the program as text superimposed on the screen.

Default Closed Caption (CC) settings are found via Roku menu path Settings > Accessibility.

While viewing a program, the Roku default method of accessing your CC options for that program is to press the * key on your Roku remote and examining the options presented. These options may vary from channel to channel, depending on which are supported by each individual channel.

But more and more channels are not using the Roku default * key but substituting their own method of access -- I'm guessing this is so they will have consistent controls with versions of their app running on platforms other than Roku. Often these options are accessed by pressing the up and/or down cursor control keys while viewing the program to pop the channel's own control options on the screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos