Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xphileprof
Reel Rookie

Email Announcing Privacy Policy Update

I received an email informing me that Roku is updating its Privacy Policy. Unlike the many similar emails that I get from other companies, Roku's did not include a summary of the changes. Is that because they don't want us to know what's changing?

6 REPLIES 6
AJCxZ0
Streaming Star

Roku updated their 18,746 word Privacy Policy

Email just in from a we-don't-want-to-hear-from-you address - Roku <noreply@roku.com> - and for reasons which befuddle anyone who understands how email works, a different we-don't-want-to-hear-from-you return address - <no-reply@email.roku.com> with subject We've Updated our Privacy Policy.

It begins with a little light comedy:

At Roku, we're always striving to make our practices and policies more transparent.

then continues to carefully avoid identifying or giving any clue what changed:

We've updated our Privacy Policy to provide information about our product features, services, and data practices, and to reflect the requirements of new privacy laws and regulations which will take effect soon. We encourage you to read through it so that you understand what data we collect, how we use and disclose it, and to whom, and your rights and choices.

in which "Privacy Policy" is not a link to the actual Privacy Policy, but a no-sense-of-irony tracking link, finishing with giving us a whole week to consider the mysterious changes to this 18,746 word document, but of course no indication of anything we might do about it:

The updates will go into effect on July 1, 2024.

Note that this is the Privacy Policy, not the Dispute Resolution Terms.

0 Kudos
ThePCDoc

Email Announcing Privacy Policy Update

Just notified 06-24-2024 that the Roku Privacy update takes effect on 07-01-2024 - just six days from now. It's 112 pages long and we aren't being given the customary 30-day notice. Why is there no summary of what the changes are? What are the most important things we need to know going forward? Why are we only getting a six-day notification? Is that even legal?

How about being upfront with the changes instead of appearing to obfuscate the update by burying any news within 112 pages?

You have a great app and service, but this update appears as if you are rushing users. You're not, are you?

0 Kudos
Zio

Re: Email Announcing Privacy Policy Update

Bingo! They also have the nerve to say that they are all about transparency. Ha!

0 Kudos
fladude
Streaming Star

Re: Roku disables players and TVs with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

Ignoring companys doing it can set precedents that can be used later in courts to prevent  one from acting over actual harm.

Give an inch....they take a mile and then another mile 

0 Kudos
ektoplasm
Streaming Star

As luck would have it, my 65" TCL bit the dust yesterday. It's replacement will be a non-Roku device.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Roku isn't alone doing this. I think I received close to a dozen different emails over the past week or so advising their terms of use or privacy statements were updated. Plenty of it going around. Makes me think some recent law change has made them all do it. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.