Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
madlax1624

Re: Did anyone else notice Roku retroactively changed terms and conditions

It has been guessing two weeks now since my Roku devices are disabled due to the terms I do not agree with and I will not opt out by mail because this also is a trap forcing a legal agreement for only Rokus best interest and not my own.  This is a waiting game and Roku must be losing $ until a decision is being made to either modify the terms of agreement to favor Roku and my best interest.  I hope this helps customers to act in getting Roku back online and running. 

mlewis49
Binge Watcher

There is. Someone at Roku leaked the customers' credit card info to scammers. Roku is trying every tactic they can to avoid what is likely to be a **bleep** ton of litigation because of it. I doubt if this will hold up in court, but if it intimidates a few people into not pusueing action it will have served its purpose.

0 Kudos
BiggBunyon
Reel Rookie

Smart TV with no Ethernet cable attached and without wireless configured = dumb TV.  Simple.  We've had our Samsung smart TV dumbed down since it was purchased several years ago.  Works good; lasts long time.

0 Kudos
BiggBunyon
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku disables players and TVs with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

I just don't care.  If you plan to use ANY "smart" device (and many "dumb"
 devices you have to agree to the ToS.  If you think that's not true, you must have never used Windows or MacOS, a Mac, a smart phone of any make and literally thousands of other "modern" products.

Get over yourselves.  You bought into the "smart" revolution and now your a dues paying member.  Either get rid of all the devices or hush.  And I can guarantee try, non of you are shedding any of your devices.

Grow up.

0 Kudos
Bsbs
Binge Watcher

Thank you for the information though when I looked at the website terms and conditions last week, on comparing what I could see of the first paragraph content and the date were not the same. Something to consider, agreeing in one media or format versus another is not transferable. 

0 Kudos
Bsbs
Binge Watcher

My friend also has a Roku TV. He filed a complaint with Federal Trade Commission (FTC)last week and his Roku is no longer blocked. Not sure if there is any correlation. He said the response he received after filing his complaint contained the verbiage “The FTC does not resolve individual reports, but your report will be entered in the FTC's Consumer Sentinel database and will be available to federal, state, and local law enforcement across the country.” 

It could be that this database is used to prioritize investigations. If so, it is reasonable to believe the number of complaints for a similar reason could elevate an issue’s priority.

Bsbs
Binge Watcher

One wonders what could someone possibly gain from posting such a response?

0 Kudos
TBBullitt
Channel Surfer

TBH, I did only briefly skim over the new TOS before agreeing, but this type of legal extortion is exactly why I just buy the bare minimum products and would never go full bore with purchasing a TV from them.

I don't need arbitration or class action, I just speak with my wallet and if Roku makes life hard, I would just throw all their hardware in the trash after smashing it up and cancel all services. And would never refer, or suggest, the company again to anyone. Actually the opposite with the negative.

I'm really not surprised about any of these tactics and honestly expected Roku to become too big for their britches sooner or later...it always happens to all corporations. They all suck eventually. Seen it happen many, many times.

Roku, you better rethink tactics as you have, or had, a good following. Why blow it up? Probably some "expert" gave them advice. Obviously bad advice. 

Stupid to shoot yourself in the foot.

Going forward, I'll pull back on my patronage of Roku products and services until they figure things out, if ever.

• Big tech sucks, and this proves why.
Orudy1
Channel Surfer

The saying "I feel your pain" speaks volumes on this website.  I only have a Roku tv in the fight, but still I'm reluctant to cede my God-given rights away easily.  I've succeeded in dumbing down the tv to be still viewable at least until they drop the other shoe and stop me from even doing that tomorrow mebbe?  BRING IT ON!!! Big corporations have only allegiance to their BOD and investors - none to their bread and butter out here.  I might sound a little prejudiced here as I think the color "green" is seen here.  If you ain't got some green - you're a second class citizen any where in the world.  It's "us against "them" is what it boils down to.  They make it hard to opt out to cut their losses.  My son probably will just toss his Roku stick and grab one of the other streamers out there.  Me, I can live without the service they provide here. I'm checking with Walmart on their return policies as it's only about 6 months old.  Anyone know of any good "dumb" tv's out there? My rant felt good actually. LOL

Orudy1

0 Kudos