Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sissy67
Binge Watcher

Re: Dispute terms resolution update

Roku

Roku's privacy policy states that the company will collect "your search history, search results, audio information when you use voice-enabled features, channels you access (including usage statistics such as what channels you access, the time you access them and how long you spend viewing them), interactions with content and advertisements, and settings and preferences.

Roku says that it shares data with advertisers "including ads that you view within Roku's Channels and Third-Party Channels, as well as ads included in content that you view through your Roku TV's antenna and connected devices." 

Here's what you need to do to limit or disable some of the tracking.

• From the main Roku menu, open Settings and head to Privacy.
  • For Advertising, make sure that the box Limit ad tracking is checked. This stops Roku from personalizing ads and sharing viewing data from streaming channels for the purpose of measurement. Roku will let channel providers know that you prefer not to have personalized ads, but according to Roku, it is up to the providers if they honor your preference or not. Likewise, "Limit Ad Tracking" will not stop individual channels, like Hulu or Netflix, from collecting their own data on your usage or passing that info on to other parties.
  • For those Roku devices that come with an embedded microphone in the remote, you can go to Microphoneand then Channel Microphone Access to choose how a channel gains access to the microphone. You can always allow them access, never allow them access or have a prompt pop up and ask for permission to access the microphone. With the Channel Permissions button, you can manage the permissions for each individual channel. 
0 Kudos
Steve32
Streaming Star

Re: Roku disables player with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

@dakmoon  I'm not a lawer, but my interpretation is that you may go ahead and click agree so long as you mail them a letter with the requested information within the 30-day period.  I think they expect you to go ahead and click "agree" either way.  I doubt the message is going to go away because they received and accepted your letter.

0 Kudos
Bull----

This is my TV. Purchased years ago. Now I can't use it all unless I agree to their new "Dispute Resolution Terms". I can't use it to watch a DVD or as a display for my computer. You can cancel my account. I will never buy anything related to Roku ever again. Everyone who understands the ramifications of being forced into an agreement needs to request their money be returned. This is bull****.

Sissy67
Binge Watcher

Disconnected from your TV and connected back in you’ll be able to watch it but if you try to watch another app on Roku, it’ll bring up that agreement bull**bleep**. I did look this up online and hoping that it will help

Roku

Roku's privacy policy states that the company will collect "your search history, search results, audio information when you use voice-enabled features, channels you access (including usage statistics such as what channels you access, the time you access them and how long you spend viewing them), interactions with content and advertisements, and settings and preferences."

Roku says that it shares data with advertisers "including ads that you view within Roku's Channels and Third-Party Channels, as well as ads included in content that you view through your Roku TV's antenna and connected devices." 

Here's what you need to do to limit or disable some of the tracking.

• From the main Roku menu, open Settings and head to Privacy.
  • For Advertising, make sure that the box Limit ad tracking is checked. This stops Roku from personalizing ads and sharing viewing data from streaming channels for the purpose of measurement. Roku will let channel providers know that you prefer not to have personalized ads, but according to Roku, it is up to the providers if they honor your preference or not. Likewise, "Limit Ad Tracking" will not stop individual channels, like Hulu or Netflix, from collecting their own data on your usage or passing that info on to other parties.
  • For those Roku devices that come with an embedded microphone in the remote, you can go to Microphoneand then Channel Microphone Access to choose how a channel gains access to the microphone. You can always allow them access, never allow them access or have a prompt pop up and ask for permission to access the microphone. With the Channel Permissions button, you can manage the permissions for each individual channel. 
0 Kudos
Upsetmommy
Reel Rookie

Updated terms have screwed my tv up

So i was forced into agreeing to these new supervisors update because my two year old goes to sleep watching certain movies that i subscribe to and pay for on there Roku device that i paid for to go along with 3 roku camera and 3 other tvs my family actively uses. I agreed with every intent to write their stupid letter and opt out within their time frame. As soon as i did my tv has switched to Chromecast whatever app 3 different times add my son is almost asleep. Disturbing nighttime and pissing me off. I agree to your terms and it's as of your in fun control of my television and messing with me at the same time. I will throw all of these devices out and light them up the same place i light up my trash pile. And join whatever next class action  train that goes your way! I paid for all of my services years ago and u want receipts and more info on the devices my family uses and their emails? Wtf is the purpose of this

techfan
Streaming Star

Roku is upping the ante on this nonsense. I just received the following e-mail from them:

"We wanted to let you know that we have made changes to our Dispute Resolution Terms, which describe how you can resolve disputes with Roku. We encourage you to read the updated Dispute Resolution Terms. By continuing to use our products or services, you are agreeing to these updated terms."

According to this, I DON'T even need to click OK to agree. I am still "agreeing" by simply watching my TV? I'm guessing this is occurs even though I'm only watching the Apple TV connected to my TCL Roku TV? This is some first-class BS!

Sissy67
Binge Watcher

I totally agree with you. I had to go on the Internet to find out what I can do to bypass this message. It said to go to the settings, but I still feel it’s not gonna help.
this can’t be happening. How could something like this be happening? It’s being held hostage.

honestly feel that Roku did something shady and they’re trying to cover it up. I’m not hitting that button I was just gonna sit back and watch and if there is a tiuswaL I have to spell it backwards, or I won’t be able to post it going on, I’m gonna jump on that wagon! I’m so mad I purchased this how can they hold it hostage? I don’t understand that. I’m so mad! 

So I don’t know about yall but I am really sick of seeing people like this on here who don’t know the difference between being a respectful person who asks for permission if something’s ok or not like we all know that it’s not ok to do it otherwise we all also know that we all can’t just be hiding some kind of letter or document that says that we can do whatever we want to do to someone else and that’s fine and we don’t even have to ask permission or anything to do so we just need a little bit of writing and then presto to do it to then we can just let it all be a little bit more than what we need to say that we don’t have to be honest about it but we just need some kind of communication and that’s fine once you have a lot of writing and that’s all that you have to do it all right now so go do whatever it is you don’t know if they know but do it anyway I don’t know if you know that means nothing to us if they know forsure or if they understand or anything like that but just let that out of the mind what your doing is fine it’s not wrong I mean you did hide the fact that you can do whatever you can do that is totally fine with you know who but none of us are cool with that and that’s not fair to anyone to do to anyone else I mean you don’t even care about your people and that’s not even fair it’s a joke you know that and that’s not a good idea to be honest with you I don’t think you should be doing anything that is wrong to be honest with you and you know what you are doing I know you know that it’s wrong but you don’t care about it I don’t want you to be mean to be serious I just think you should be careful about what you’re doing this is a huge problem with all you companies and it’s gotta stop like yesterday

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I don't agree to Dispute Resolution Terms update. TV now unusable. Now what, Roku?

@Spookypumpkaboo, the Roku app is free.  You paid for an app that isn't from Roku.

Roku Mobile App - Free for iOS® or Android™ | Roku

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
stayfocus53
Reel Rookie

Re: "We've made an important update" is stuck on screen

I don't know? But I'm not clicking Agree to something written in legal terms and not broken down in layman's term. I'm  fed up with this message blocking on Roku screen me from using apps and I'm going to cancel Roku & go back to satellite TV and get Amazon Fire.