Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lucas_jim
Binge Watcher

Roku Update affecting TVs and streaming boxes

Jump to solution

A couple of days ago I posted about the problem caused by the Roku upgrade to 10.5.0.  It bricked my Roku Ultra.  I forgot about TCL and Hisense (maybe other tv vendors)  using Roku as their operating system in their televisions.  WOW!  This upgrade has done some severe damage - people can't even use their televisions!  We need to get on social media (i.e. Facebook/Meta, Twitter, etc.) and let people know that they should NOT buy a Roku streaming product or a television that uses Roku as it's base operating system.  The holidays are quickly approaching and I don't want to see my family and friends get stuck and then have to deal with: returns, refunds and denials of service.  When sales of TCL, Hisense and Roku drop off significantly as the word spreads, I guarantee Roku will come out with a fix.  I sent an email to Stephen Kay (Vice President and Chief Cousel) at Roku suggesting that they quickly re-label older software/firmware to a higher version so that people can "update" their products and quickly recover their streaming boxes and televisions but I haven't heard back.  So, get on social media and spread the word - using Roku is now a risky proposition.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Update affecting TVs and streaming boxes

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

In order for us to best assist you, we will need more information about the issue you are experiencing.

If you are experiencing an issue regarding Roku Ultra devices, please see this thread.

Likewise, if you are experiencing an issue on Roku TV, please see this thread.

Please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have more information, we will be able to assist you further.

In order to avoid further confusion, and multiple threads for the same issue, we are closing this thread out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

45 REPLIES 45
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Time to warn others about problems with Roku Update & how it bricks TVs and streaming boxes

Jump to solution

I have 10.5 on two of my three Ultras, and there's no issue with any of them. I also have 10.5 on several other Roku devices, and no problem there either. I'm not saying you didn't have an issue, but it's apparently isolated to only a few devices. It's not system-wide. Odds are there is something defective within the device itself, and the update merely triggered it. If your device is under a year old, Roku does a good job with warranty replacements.

Unfortunately, with electronic devices it's always possible for a software update to cause issues. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
lucas_jim
Binge Watcher

Re: Time to warn others about problems with Roku Update & how it bricks TVs and streaming boxes

Jump to solution

I'm glad you're not having problems with your devices.  Maybe you're lucky.  Maybe the units you have were built with different components and ICs.  This is something that Roku needs to figure out.  But I have a mailbox (email folder) full of Roku users now having problems with their Roku based TVs and streaming products since the upgrade.  So, I surely don't want my friends and famiily (especially those that aren't tech savvy and would have no idea what's going on) to experience these problems with a new television or a new streaming box.  That would definitely undermine holiday cheer.  So, enjoy your streaming (since yours is still working) and have a great holiday.

arnieaquilino
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

All 4 of my Roku Ultras have become useless after 10.5.  Programs do not load and the few that do load extremely slow to make viewing painful.

I do not accept the claim that it is isolated to a few systems.

DAK99
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I agree with the OP.  10.5 bricked my Roku Ultra.   It will not stream anything now.  I sure hope someone at Rokunis working on this right now. 😡

Humblehoneybee
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I also agree, this update has left my tv more useless than a cardboard box… it’s simply for decoration now I guess. 

uconnbill

Jump to solution

Same here. I cannot load my channels and tried to reset the Roku and still having the issues. I have a smart TV that I can use to use my channels through but I like having the Roku, but not right now. They need to fix this issue otherwise I am going to use my Samsung to watch instead

_Xena_
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

"I'm not an employee" tips it off that you Are an employee... 🙄 I'm guessing Roku employees never have any issues out of their devices? Well yeah, go figure. 

Jump to solution

Can't use any streaming channels since the update. Literally, my screen is frozen on the introducing Roku OS 10.5 and my remote won't do anything! Someone please help.  

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@_Xena_ wrote:

"I'm not an employee" tips it off that you Are an employee... 🙄 I'm guessing Roku employees never have any issues out of their devices? Well yeah, go figure. 

No, we aren't. Roku requests us to have that comment in our sig line to ensure people understand we don't work or speak for them. And if you've seen some comments I make, I often tell Roku they're doing something wrong, or even suggest a different player for some people. But for whatever reason, every Roku I have (and I have many) are working just fine for all channels I use. This includes HBO Max (which I watched for several hours yesterday), YouTube, Disney+, and a handful of others. Am I just lucky? I have no idea. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.