Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gren99
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra - Screensaver stopped working

an update: i checked again late last night and the screensaver app was both visible again and functional for me.

joejvj
Channel Surfer

Same here- this morning the screen saver was working again. I would say they pushed a fix late last night. Interestingly, the firmware version number has not changed (10.5.0 Build 4198-C2) since yesterday.

StarGeezerTim
Binge Watcher

I can also confirm...while I didn't witness any actual update being pushed (it's possible I missed it) and there were no manual updates this morning, the "missing" screensaver was indeed back where it belonged and functioning properly. Might have been a backend fix, but either way it seems to be back to somewhat normal. Should be interesting to see what screensaver it defaults to while in-app. Prior to the updates, it would use the same saver as you had set under System. The first update last week had the in-app saver be the "Roku Rain" or whatever it was called. The one from midweek this week just broke everything. And now, here we are. OK, just checked...in-app, it DOES revert to your chosen saver. So all back to normal. Thanks Roku.

joejvj
Channel Surfer

Glad it's fixed for you too. This was definitely some kind of stealth update that does not show up in the last/current firmmare revision dates.

FYI my support ticket was also closed by Roku.

DaniGwiz
Reel Rookie

Thank you! I was having the same problem with my Roku Ultra. Now that I have turned off the power saving mode, the screen saver works fine.

Ekoenig1966
Reel Rookie

Mine is doing the same and I have had it less than a year. 

0 Kudos
Ekoenig1966
Reel Rookie

My screensaver on my roku ultra is black. I’ve looked at this blog changed the settings.. nothing. My older Roku in my bedroom is doing the same it used to also have a screensaver 

Ekoenig1966
Reel Rookie

Mine did as well. I followed the directions on a previous thread. It worked for about 10 seconds and went back to black

0 Kudos
DaniGwiz
Reel Rookie

It has to do with the update that rolled through. Go into settings, then system, then power, then auto power savings, and then uncheck "After 20 minutes of no interaction" that should give you the Screensaver back. 

I had the same problem with my Roku. The update that rolled through automatically checked that power saving mode.

KShane

Extrapolate what you can from this example: I posted a reply in "Indicator light stays on after 11.5 update".

My experience solved both problems: One feature is dependent on the other depending on what the configuration of multiple settings are.

Quick Solution: DISABLE the Screensaver.

Why?/More Detail: I had two problems with the Ultra that other devices did not have. 1. The power light stayed on (constant). 2. The Screensaver never would "engage". 

I first started following the forum "Re: Roku Ultra - Screensaver stopped working". One suggestion was to Disable the new 11.5 Feature for Power->Power Saving. Because people were experiencing opposite desired effects from toggling things. I thought through what each problem was telling me and decided to try my configuration. 

I wanted the Power Saving feature ENABLED and I wanted the Bandwidth Saver ENABLED. I DISABLED the Screensaver. All of it worked. Light went out after TV turned off (using the default time). Streaming was stopped by the default time. When the TV turns on, first a blank screen appears with the settings that HDMI is becoming active, Time, etc. and after pressing a button on the remote, the home Screen appears. 

Hope this is helpful for both forums.