Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ceddes

Roku Ultra 4802X and Streaming Stick 4K 3820R2 weird issues...

So my old 15 yr LG 1080p TV died and I replaced it with LG G4 4K OLED. It looks amazing and I can really see the improvement in the picture color brightness motion smoothness (maybe thats part of the issue). Hoping maybe others have worked thru these and can offer fixes or suggestions,

In the Amazon Prime app specioficly when the trialers start/strop the imagee goes black and the sound cuts out. The dolby atmos and vision logo flashes for a sec and then works. but it does this for every automatic trailer that plays. i have tired switching from auto 4k to 4k with hdr as other have suggested burt made no diffrence.

In streaming movies thru all apps the back ground has werid blending and color motions effect. sky/clouds, feilds or etc are not really blurry or like the wrong color and almost like its agressively smoothing . but i have the motion and noise filters turned off. i have a fifber connection and in 4K am getting ~45mb/s streams so i dont think its a compression or loss of image quiailty due to bandwidth. When i stream 4k over youtube it doesnt seem to be an issue. i have tried reseting all the devices, network, replacing the hdmi cable with 2.1 48 gb certified cable, I own many so i compared other devices to check. using the smart tv apps, chrometv w/ android, and firetv cube on the same movies it doesnt have this effect.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
driveseedsi
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra 4802X and Streaming Stick 4K 3820R2 weird issues...

It sounds like you’re dealing with some frustrating issues with your new setup. The black screen and sound cutout during Amazon Prime trailers could be related to how your TV handles Dolby Vision/Atmos signals. As for the weird blending and color issues in other streaming apps, it might be worth experimenting with different picture modes or contacting LG support for more tailored advice. Hopefully, others here can offer some fixes or suggestions too! Visit Here: All Compressed PC Games

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@ceddes-Re short blackouts:

Under "Settings > System > Advanced system Settings > Advanced display settings" does your Roku have an "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" item? If you don't have this setting, don't bother to read the rest of this post.

If this is enabled, the Roku circuitry sends the signal output at the refresh rate used by the original source material, commonly 24 fps (frames per second), 25 fps, 30 fps, 50 fps, or 60 fps. Every time the source refresh rate changes, the TV must adjust its display to accommodate the new rate, which on many sets results in a short blackout or other display disruption that some find objectionable.

This can happen when starting/stopping new programs, when going in/out/between commercials, wherever the refresh rate of the source material changes.

If "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" is set OFF, the Roku converts and sends everything at 60 fps so the TV doesn't have to adjust on the fly and you don't get those frame rate transition disruptions.

The tradeoff here is that, non-60 fps sources may not appear as smooth without a Roku refresh rate adjustment, depending on whether your Roku or your TV does a better job of refresh rate conversion. You have to decide whether this change is worth it to you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
randalln

Turning this on fixed the unwelcome smoothing I was seeing on my new Ultra 4802X. Thanks!

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.