Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tony5215

Roku Ultra 4802R only detects one device when attached to a 4-port USB 3.0 Hub

What was the resulting solution to this external usb issue?  I am having the same issue with the 4802R purchased 11/23.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
jw2112
Channel Surfer

Re: Ultra 4800X only detects one device when attached to a 4-port USB 3.0 Hub

Same problem with my 2023 Roku Ultra and powered RSHtech 4 port hub, but I'm only trying to run 2. The Roku is in another room than the tv, hdmi thru the wall, so having to get up and go to the other roo  to switch drives is a huge pain!!!

0 Kudos
jw2112
Channel Surfer

Is this thread dead? Seems like no one is getting answers. I tried contacting Roku agents, but when I got to the point where it states, "lets get in touch", it just continuously buffers every time, and not at any other point. It is like they do not want to help...

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I was under the impression that USB hubs would work, but then I've never tried using one. Officially Roku doesn't support it, so there's probably nothing that can be done to make it work. This is why my media is all on a computer that can be accessed from any device (Roku or otherwise), and the computer can handle transcoding for unsupported media files. Overall Roku supports DLNA media servers "adequately" but there are a few issues. Using a media server like Plex or Emby bypasses those issues, as they use their own dedicated app on a Roku and not Roku Media Player, which has some issues. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jw2112
Channel Surfer

The hubs apparently, from what I've heard, worked with the Roku 3, as long as they were powered. I'm not very tech savvy, and my hard drive is too small to hold all my movies. I was hoping it was possibly a flaw in certain Uktra models and the hubs may work with newer ones. Maybe certain high quality hubs would work. I was just hoping for some guidance from Roku 😞

0 Kudos
atc98092

Well, the Roku 3 is really old (two versions, released in 2013 and 2015), and uses a completely different chipset compared to the later models. So it's not surprising it might not work with the latest models. And again, Roku doesn't officially support multiple drives, so any prior working scenarios were just lucky. 

Dan

0 Kudos
jw2112
Channel Surfer

Okay, but per an article on the Roku support site, "If you have a non-powered USB hub connected to the USB port in the Roku device, then you should try the following:

1. Remove the hub and connect the USB drive directly to the Roku device
  2. Reduce the number of devices connected to the USB hub
  3. Replace the non-powered USB hub with a powered USB hub", which is what I did...
0 Kudos
atc98092

OK, glad you found that. I wasn't aware they listed any support, so good to know. No idea now why it shouldn't be working. I don't have any USB hubs available that I could test with. As I said, I use a media server to make my media available to everything on my network. 

Dan

0 Kudos