Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shahmat

Re: Roku Ultra 4, can't format new microSD card

Jump to solution

100% agreed.  I've never installed a card with the item powered on, but that works.

There should, however. be a way to manually do it as well.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Just a comment to everyone. The only thing an SD card does on the Roku players that have the slot is expand the storage space for channel storage. It is not used by the Roku in any way to improve performance. It will only let unused channels load faster, as Roku will offload a little used channel to instead store the more commonly used channels. It makes a small difference in the time it takes to load that channel, but once it's loaded there's no additional benefit to using a card.

Also, regardless of the size of card you use, the Roku will only use about 2GB of space. So installing a 32GB card is just wasting the capacity of the card. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Alek

Jump to solution

Yes, I was inserting it, then turn it on. Format message will dissapear in second not giving me chance to format. Then I did it while it was on and it workked. Used 4gb Sandisk.

0 Kudos