Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Streaming Stick 3800X Stuck at Checking for new software

Jump to solution

Hello @ddrakenfd22

We appreciate your contact!

Please provide us with the serial number of your Roku device (printed on the side/back of the device) and I'll be able to pass along your information to our Support team to assist you further.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
3boyfathet
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am experiencing the same issue.   I have attempted a manual software update.  It got stuck on “checking for new software “ with the spinner.   I restarted the Roku and that didn’t help.  I rebooted my modem and that didn’t help.  I reset my Roku and that didn’t help either.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  

0 Kudos
3boyfathet
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The serial number of my device that won’t update is:

C3386H325133

0 Kudos
ddrakenfd22
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The company advised me that the streaming stick was out of warranty and there was nothing they could do. Really, there seems to be a lot of people having the same problems. Seems like something that ROKU did that caused this, even though they do not confess to it. They should make this right by replacing our devices.  They offered me a coupon at Roku.com, but could not be used on any devices that they offered on sale, and the same devices were much less on other sites. That does not really amount to a solution for the failed devices. Seems like the company launched an update that causes our devices to fail, or they just stopped supporting the devices.

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @3boyfathet,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for letting us know all that you've done and we appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've done so far to try to resolve the with your Roku device that is stuck in the "check for an update" message.

We would also suggest trying to connect to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you still experiencing the same issue.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
3boyfathet
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks Mary for reaching out.  I tried using my phone’s hotspot and also tried using my neighbors Wifi access point.  Unfortunately that did not solve my issue.   I am still getting stuck at checking for new software.  

best,

Dan

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @3boyfathet,

Thanks for keeping in touch and providing the additional information.

We're going to assign a member of our Support team to reach out to you via email. They will be assisting you from thereon and provide a resolution to this issue.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
DLP100
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am having the exact same issue. Serial number is СТ38C5492978. Software version I am on now is 9.2.0.4806. Model is 3800X.

This issue has been cross posted on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/11jrx80/roku_appears_to_now_require_continuous_upgrades/  

----

Roku appears to now require continuous upgrades or they will permanently block devices from upgrading ever again.

I have an 3800X and it fails to load anything after “Software update” and “Checking for new software.” Per the instructions, I tried rebooting modem, rebooting router, using hotspot, trying different WiFi at a different location, factory resetting device several times, and it always freezes when attempting to upgrade. Here is a support thread created by a different user with more info:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Features-settings-updates/Roku-Streaming-Stick-3800X-Stuck-at-Checking... 

Software version I am on now is 9.2.0.4806 and the current version is around 11.5

The issue appears when upgrading from 9.2.0 (or older version) to the current version. Developers failed to include an upgrade path from an older version to the latest version resulting in updates no longer being supported on this device. This is an unannounced discontinuation of a currently supported product.

In researching this issue a bit more, Roku groups products by their manufacturing status - https://developer.roku.com/docs/specs/hardware.md 

Current: Roku is currently manufacturing these products and they are fully supported.

Updatable: Roku no longer manufactures these products, but they can still be updated with the latest Roku OS.

Legacy: Roku has discontinued these models, and they cannot support newer versions of the Roku OS.

The 3800X is listed under "Updatable."

Without an update path from older versions to current versions, the product is misrepresented as being capable of running the latest version of the software.

Unless Roku states no software updates will be issued to products out of warranty, this is not a warranty issue. It's a bug with the upgrade path from older versions to current version.

The fact its being treated like a warranty issue (as reported by several users in the thread) is shameful and harmful to our trust in Roku.

What if Apple or Google designed their software updates to intentionally deny ALL FUTURE UPGRADES to users who skip the installation of iterative OS versions?

Would that also be considered "out of warranty" for phones older than 1 year?

This casts a dark shadow over Roku and needs to be corrected.

Ziaaarif

Jump to solution

I am also having same issue, my device ID is C33812352443.  It seems like it is fixable by Roku, they should either fix it or recall it.  I spent a LOT of time following all the instructions on this page and online.  Hope someone will help me and help all of those people who are suffering.  

3boyfathet
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I worked with Roku support and was unable to get my device to update.  The Roku support folks said that my device was old and out of warranty.  I purchased a new Roku to fix my problem.

I do wish Roku supported their devices better with software updates.  I have an old AppleTV device that is still updating, and drawer with 3 old Roku devices that no longer work.   

My take is that Roku devices are disposable.  I didn't wish to pay the high upfront price for an AppleTV, but the AppleTV probably would end up being cheaper in the long run as they are supported longer.

0 Kudos